Cam Cover Heat Sink - Any good?

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by Merlynn, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Merlynn

Merlynn Active Member

Just saw an ad for a cam cover heat sink by JimsUSA in a motorcycle magazine. Always looking for ways to reduce my heat signature on my Ultra down here in south Florida. Does anyone have experience with this product? Is it worth the money?

2. AFRetired

AFRetired Member

A quote from a Jim's rep...
    "The insert is not only meant to “help” cool, but also “look cool”. When installed, we saw Cam Cover Surface Temperatures drop approx 10 degrees. We do not boast that this product will drop your “oil temp” significantly, it just helps reduce temps.

It’s a blend of function and styling. "

3. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

No experience with it, but it does seem to have more looks than function, given the small amount of surface area exposure for conduction cooling, and airflow for convection cooling.

[​IMG]
    At $75 to $95 it probably will lighten the weight in your wallet at the very least...JMO.:small3d002:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  4. Mad Dog Jim

Mad Dog Jim Banned

IMO Total waste of money!

5. glider

glider Veteran Member

I have to agree here. If it was an EVO engine with electronics in the nose cone, different story completely but the TC has nothing at all in the nosecone that would benefit from that device.

6. Mad Dog Jim

Mad Dog Jim Banned

and... how fun would it be to tear it apart and clean every ride? Those holes would be a nightmare. Just a great opportunity for corosion.

7. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Looks cool but I can live with out it JMO

8. Mad Dog Jim

Mad Dog Jim Banned

I mean no offense, but it looks like it slices, it dices, it makes julian fries... Seriously, it looks like a sausage casing should slide over it?

9. Merlynn

Merlynn Active Member

Brutal and effective reviews, thanks gentlemen, guess Ill be looking at the lenale fan then. ; )

10. Mad Dog Jim

Mad Dog Jim Banned

I hope I didn't offend, honestly. Its easy for a brash guy like me to be taken the wrong way. It's a "to each his own" thing on looks, but I highly doubt it would do anything at all to lower the engine temp... (Unless do to it being so ugly you have to keep the bike moving LOL)