free website stats program cam chest oil | Harley Davidson Forums

cam chest oil

corrigon

Contributor
Have any of you tried starting your engine with the cam cover removed to see how much oil is present while running? I tried this because of a oil pressure problem and there is a lot of oil gushing out. My question, is this normal? This is my 1999 twin cam FLHTCUI. Thanks for a quick answer as they are putting a new roof on our house and the satellite antenna is going to be removed for a while. Appreciate it.

Have any of you tried starting your engine with the cam cover removed to see how much oil is present while running? I tried this because of a oil pressure problem and there is a lot of oil gushing out. My question, is this normal? This is my 1999 twin cam FLHTCUI. Thanks for a quick answer as they are putting a new roof on our house and the satellite antenna is going to be removed for a while. Appreciate it.

The cam chest will always have oil in it as it is under pressure back to the tank after it lubes the lower end, this is also why when you changer oil there is always left over oil 24-32 oz in the cam area, @ 2200 RPM expect to see 30-32 psi oil temp about 230 degrees, 7-8 lbs @ idle according to 07 manual

Last edited by a moderator:
QUICK Response......

The cam chest is the Heart of the engine.

With spark-plugs removed and turning over the starter WILL Flood you out with OIL when the cam-cover is Off..... I would Never start it as you probably have a MESS:D

Not ab-normal at all.

signed....BUBBIE

Thank you much guys, I was hoping this would be normal. I was well prepared with pan so I had no mess BUBBIE but you are right I was lucky. I will close her up and go for it. Thanks again. I do appreciate you getting back so quick as they are here now to remove antenna and the there will be no internet for awhile.

Lesson learned. It seems that the 1999 tc has a cam support all to itself. Harley added a oil hole in the 2000 model which aligns with a casting in the case which the 99 does not have. So when you use a later support like I did you have a pretty large stream of oil going no where except into cam chest. That is where my low oil pressure came from. I traced out the oil passages to make sure everything would get oil without this port and my pressure came right to 45 lbs cold just as Harley says after I plugged the extra port. After engine ran a few minutes my pressure went up and then the engine began to make a really funny noise. I shut it right down, waited a few minutes, restarted engine and noise was gone. Does it make sense that the lifters were getting to much oil and building up? I have a 1999 support ordered so that extra port is not there. On ebay almost all of the used supports listed say 1999-2005 or 06. What am I missing here?

I'm pretty sure I remember that the 1999 cam plate is supposed to have that hole plugged. When I did my 2000 Heritage last year, I seem to remember something in the instructions about plugging the hole you're referring to on 1999 only.

Thanks guys, that is what I did and cured my oil pressure problem. Now I have one injector bad and it seems that also is a 1999 loner. How lucky can you get? Onward and upward.

Back