free website stats program Cam Change - Tell me what you think | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam Change - Tell me what you think

I installed a set of SE255s in my '08 FXSTC. I felt I could perform the install myself as I too used to play with hotrods. The complete install took about 4 hours (I took a few breaks) and the total cost was just under $300.00 (a take off set of cams & a cam install kit from HD). I am more than pleased with the results, but it took some time to tune with the TMax w/AT. Good luck on your cam swap, I am sure you too will be happy with the outcome.
Remember, Ride Safe...

I have a 2011 street Gluide. I am in the middle my self of changing cams. I want to bring the power band down on my 103cc. I am putting tw 777 cams from woods on. I am also changing the header pipe with Vanes Hines power duals with the x chamber set up. Reason I am doing this to keep torque on the low RPMs, also Hp on the higher ares. Only thing I have not found yet is a mufler yet any Ideas?

I did a cam change a little while back. Andrews 26H cams and Smith Bros. adjustable pushrods.

Very happy with the results.

Well the first thing I would ask is this.

1. Are you going to leave the engine as a 96 CI??

Answer yes = ok then you need to install a cam that will work with that compression ratio. For a bolt in that is cheap look for a used SE 255 cam. We have done a ton of testing and that cam stacks up great against all others and is very easy on the budget. We did just about all of the R&D testing for Andrews with the 48 cam. That is another great bolt in stick.

Answer no = install the BB kit like a 103 or 107 kit and install a cam that will work with that compression ratio. Again comp ratio will be the number 1 thing to look at. With todays fuel running too much dynamic comp ratio will only lead to issues with ing ping and reduced power at the end of the day as so much timing has to be pulled to allow the engine to run on pump gas. ( what ever you have to use in your area OR across the country)

A 103 or 107 kit will yeild great power and a cam like the andrews 54 is a bolt in deal that is no fancy but will again make power with the best of them on a budget.

I have posted two dyno sheets the one with the X1 is the andrews 48. It was called that when got the cam ( stamped on the end) so that is a back to back with the SE 255 cam in my own bike. I can tell you that there was a small change in felt power with the 48 if you ran the engine above 4500 rpm. Under that I could not feel any change.

The other is a 103 with 255 cams as a dealer build with down load. What you see is what the dealer gave the customer. I did not tune the bike as the 255 is not a good choice for a 103 period. That cam in a 103 creates way too much dynamic compresion for even 93 octane fuel in a bagger. We installed the 54 cam and you can see what it made with stock heads.

I would rather show real world testing with back to back type sheets vs he said she said , Opinions vary but hard to over look hard data.

We have spent hundreds of hours testing products ..

On that note we are now testing another new andrew's cam that is a bolt in for the 96 or 103 engines. At this point it is only testing and I have a 2011 103 that is coming in next week for the cam install. Will post up the results when I can release them.

Attachments

• 09 SG X1 EXPRESS DOHERTY AC  TTS D&D FAT CAT QB BAFFLE.jpg
    09 SG X1 EXPRESS DOHERTY AC TTS D&D FAT CAT QB BAFFLE.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 34
  • BOB W 2011 103 54 CAM CRUSHER E MAIL .jpg
    BOB W 2011 103 54 CAM CRUSHER E MAIL .jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 30
Back