free website stats program Cam Change - Tell me what you think | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam Change - Tell me what you think

I change mine to S & S 510 on my 99 FXDWG hated the stock version chain tensioners kept coming apart. I don't ride hard , my 510 have about 80000 miles on them and just ripped the engine apart it started burning oil after 1630000 miles on the bike cams still good. My bike is all stock.

I prefer the gear drive Harely ran gears for years why they changed it to chain I don't know how they think.

Thats my two cents for what its worth. Winter is no fun

WOW, are those numbers correct? Is that the first tear down of your motor? So with that many miles, would it be safe to say that you did not see any advanced wear on the valve train do to the gear drive. I have a friend that installed the 510 S&S gear drive and he has only good things to say about it. I am leaning towrds S&S 510, I just dont know if the cam is to big, run out, ect., I can do the install I just need some more info on if its a ok swap for my springs-valves-ect.
Thanks everyone Keep them flowing!!!!!

WOW, are those numbers correct? Is that the first tear down of your motor? So with that many miles, would it be safe to say that you did not see any advanced wear on the valve train do to the gear drive. I have a friend that installed the 510 S&S gear drive and he has only good things to say about it. I am leaning towrds S&S 510, I just dont know if the cam is to big, run out, ect., I can do the install I just need some more info on if its a ok swap for my springs-valves-ect.
Thanks everyone Keep them flowing!!!!!

Rhys,

Just had a set of S&S 510 cams installed in my '07 Dyna. The cam kit, per the indy who installed them, came with new bearings. Did not need any other engine modifications.

Might be of help.

I change mine to S & S 510 on my 99 FXDWG hated the stock version chain tensioners kept coming apart. I don't ride hard , my 510 have about 80000 miles on them and just ripped the engine apart it started burning oil after 1630000 miles on the bike cams still good. My bike is all stock.

I prefer the gear drive Harely ran gears for years why they changed it to chain I don't know how they think.

Thats my two cents for what its worth. Winter is no fun

The reason for the change was suppose to be to reduce noise, The EPA sets levels and the MOCO saw this as the way out, IMO the design was flawed from the beginning knowing they would get repairs out of warranty JMO

Rhys,

Just had a set of S&S 510 cams installed in my '07 Dyna. The cam kit, per the indy who installed them, came with new bearings. Did not need any other engine modifications.

Might be of help.

So, how do you like them?
Ok guys here is where I'm at. I did more research and I am being told that 99-06 twin cams used a set up that wasnt reliable, and there was a problem with the chain having a burr on them, But that in 07 they went to a hydralic set up on the tenchioners and its a great set up, or so the books and videos say. I have decided to go with the S&S 510 grind, but still unshure about the gear or chain so far. If the info was correct and with my bike having low miles and I will be doing the install, If I go with the chain I will only have to buy cams and a install kit wich comes with bearings and everything needed for the install and I should only have around 300 dollars invested, before fluid change. So I guess I am leaning towrds the chain set up. I dont want to go to big because I will be leaving the rest of the motor alone, so far I have a breather, V&H long shots, so with the cams I would like to be done-other than the tons I have dumped into the looks and style.
Thanks guys,
Keep them Rollin:small3d034:

So, how do you like them?
Ok guys here is where I'm at. I did more research and I am being told that 99-06 twin cams used a set up that wasnt reliable, and there was a problem with the chain having a burr on them, But that in 07 they went to a hydralic set up on the tenchioners and its a great set up, or so the books and videos say. I have decided to go with the S&S 510 grind, but still unshure about the gear or chain so far. If the info was correct and with my bike having low miles and I will be doing the install, If I go with the chain I will only have to buy cams and a install kit wich comes with bearings and everything needed for the install and I should only have around 300 dollars invested, before fluid change. So I guess I am leaning towrds the chain set up. I dont want to go to big because I will be leaving the rest of the motor alone, so far I have a breather, V&H long shots, so with the cams I would like to be done-other than the tons I have dumped into the looks and style.
Thanks guys,
Keep them Rollin:small3d034:

300 bucks sound a little light unless you plan on pulling the heads and rockers and going through the re torque sequence... It saves about a buck fifty in adjustable pushrods and is a lot more work..

I also agree with your research about the 07+ cam chain tensioners.

At any rate, I think you will be very happy!

300 bucks sound a little light unless you plan on pulling the heads and rockers and going through the re torque sequence... It saves about a buck fifty in adjustable pushrods and is a lot more work..

I also agree with your research about the 07+ cam chain tensioners.

At any rate, I think you will be very happy!

Yeppers,
You are right, I left the top out. 300 was for the cams and cam kit-give or take a few bucks. I have to do the the top rockers, and I havent looked into the push rods, the guy I talked to said the stock ones would be fine but I havent looked into them. SO tell me what yall think.

Yeppers,
You are right, I left the top out. 300 was for the cams and cam kit-give or take a few bucks. I have to do the the top rockers, and I havent looked into the push rods, the guy I talked to said the stock ones would be fine but I haven't looked into them. SO tell me what yall think.

I should have been more clear. I meant if you are pulling the heads anyway the rockers would come with of course. But, if you are not pulling the heads, I would definitely go with the adjustable pushrods..IHMO.

:thanks
I should have been more clear. I meant if you are pulling the heads anyway the rockers would come with of course. But, if you are not pulling the heads, I would definitely go with the adjustable pushrods..IHMO.

I see, but I will be pulling the rocker covers. This will be my first cam change on a bike but I've been building cars all my life. So I am hopeful that with a manual and all the help and advice from everyone on here I can get it done and done correctly. I want to do it myself because all of the dealers I have called are talking big bucks to do it. Any advice on the matter is taken seriously. I am a little worried but I think I can do it. Hit me back guys!!!

:thanks

I see, but I will be pulling the rocker covers. This will be my first cam change on a bike but I've been building cars all my life. So I am hopeful that with a manual and all the help and advice from everyone on here I can get it done and done correctly. I want to do it myself because all of the dealers I have called are talking big bucks to do it. Any advice on the matter is taken seriously. I am a little worried but I think I can do it. Hit me back guys!!!

Take a look through the self help area in the engine section, there's videos on cam installations and much more...

Harley Davidson Engine Related Issues - Harley Davidson Community

Back