free website stats program Cam chain | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam chain

I have been checking on the cam chain shoes on my bike today (01 twincam fxd) The shoes are wearing even and both are smooth, well the front is for sure as it's hard to see the inner shoe even with a dentist mirror for me . Anyway do any of you guy's know the thickness of the shoes when new? Thanks

Not sure how thick it is, around 3/16" or so, but it will usually wear a grove through it. Check to see if you see a "lip" on either side of the chain and judge from there.

I don't know the spec. for your year, but the '07 and up hydraulic tensioner min. is .060". You can roughly judge the wear on the shoe face against the thickness of the edge. When in doubt, change them.

I checked the shoes again today and I see no lip or groove worn into them at all. The bike has 67000 mi.
So I'm thinking they were recently changed, I bought the bike in August from a guy in Sanford Florida. It was a trade in at Ocala Harley Davidson and the guy that I bought it from bought it from them and sold it to me, Also he never rode the bike he gets their trade inns and resales. I have the original owners name but his phone # is unlisted. Any ideas how that I could contact him? I realy would like to know more about the bike, Service ect. ect.-----Thanks for the help

Why not call Ocala HD? They are nice folks and may have all the maint. records.

Are they the spring loaded tensioners, or the hydraulic ones??? If hydraulic, then they were changed out at some point. Yours came stock with spring loaded tensioners. Orange = spring loaded. White = hydraulic.

My '07 hydraulic tensioner shoes are Orange(ish).

Attachments

• Cam Install Electra Glide 012 (640x480).jpg
    Cam Install Electra Glide 012 (640x480).jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 22
Back