free website stats program cam chain | Harley Davidson Forums

cam chain

dynaboy

I am a 66year old first time harley rider, it is a 2001 fxd with a stage one. I have been riding for 48 years and now i know what it is all about. The fxd i have was my daughters bike and she passed away last year. We always argued what was the best bike and she was smarter than i was, she is riding the harley in heaven now. The bike has 15000 miles and should i be worried about the cam chain tensioners. I put 9000 miles on it this year and that included a 3000 mile round trip to az. I am from wenatchee wa.thanks for any info.

i was at local harley shop and a 2001 heritage had 45,000 miles on it and they just replaced them, they had about 10% life left is what the dealer told me.

Welcome to the Forum. Glad to have you here.

You will find lots of great info in the Self-help pages and in the heads of your fellow members.

Unfortunately, the time between failure for the tensioner shoes is unpredictable. Rather than worry about the cam chain tensioners, why don't you just pop the cam cover off and check them. I replace the outside one when it nuked on my bike, but then finally did the roller chain conversion for peace of mind. See here:

TQ's Engine Build - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

I also have to remind everyone about the outter cam bearings. My nephew was out riding a couple of weeks ago, on a bike he bought last year, a 99 road king with 13000 miles. Starting making noises so I drove the 120 miles to go pick him and bike up. Turns out the bearings had never been done under the recall, sounds like it is going to cost him a couple of grand for cams and gear drive and bearing etc.
kemo

I also have to remind everyone about the outter cam bearings. My nephew was out riding a couple of weeks ago, on a bike he bought last year, a 99 road king with 13000 miles. Starting making noises so I drove the 120 miles to go pick him and bike up. Turns out the bearings had never been done under the recall, sounds like it is going to cost him a couple of grand for cams and gear drive and bearing etc.
kemo

KEMO..KEMO..KEMO..
THERE WAS NEVER A RECALL.... JUST A WARNING.... ALL BIKES FIXED BY HARLEY HAD TO SELF-DESTRUCT FIRST...(.)

HARLEY WILL ** I SAY WILL** PICK UP THE FULL REPAIR ON THOES BIKES WHICH SELF DESTRUCT.........THEY HAVE TO GO APART AND TOGETHER IN A HARLEY SHOP... NOT YOURS OR ANY SHOP..

If bad enough HD will replace all needed parts and may include the oil pump and cams ,lifters and ????? AT THEIR EXPENSE

I went around and around with HD on MY 1999 DEC.15 built dyna (2000)

It had the round bearing on the DRIVE CAM and " HD would NOT do anything until IT BLEW".... their word not mine

I replaced my back then to the newer ROLLER bearing (replaced the 3/16 ball style) and also the ina for FULL rollers on the inside...

I remember the many people who complained until HD came out with the BLANKET STATEMENT..... A FIX no matter WHO owns the bike in the future....

signed....BUBBIE

1999/2000 MODELS BEFORE DEC 15 OF 99 BUILD DATE located on neck of bike frame.......

harley SAID IN WRITING; THEY WOULD REPAIR ANY OF THEM THAT WERE BUILT ON THOES DATES B-FORE BUT ONLY AFTER A PROBLEM OCURED.......

i have stated in a few post here that HD WILL REPAIR no matter how many owners away from ORIGINAL purchaser....

Moral of this story is if you think the cam bearing is on it's way out, run the pants off the engine and get an entirely new engine when it blows. :lolrolling

Moral of this story is if you think the cam bearing is on it's way out, run the pants off the engine and get an entirely new engine when it blows. :lolrolling

the harley people say IT IS ALL CONTAINED IN THE CAM CAVITY AFTER SELF DESTRUCTION......

THERE ARE OTHER lubrication ports and access,,, and the oil THRU OUT THE ENGINE....

Granted the fix by HD ..... I never wanted MY BIKE to go thru a BLOW UP.....

YOU HIT THE NAIL right on the head GLIDER....... MY THOUGHTS ALSO!!!!!!

maybe you can find a post or statement from HD that will back MINE up... Thanks..

GLIDER
post this if you want or TOSS

signed.... concerned for HD owners of OLDER bikes....BUBBIE

I would think that almost any 88 should get at least 30k, I got 51 but should have changed at about 48

Back