free website stats program cam chain tensioners | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

cam chain tensioners

If your '06 came off the line with spring loaded tensioners that would mean that it also came off the line with the smaller inner cam bearings. If an '07 OEM cam plate with the hydro tensioners replaced the original cam plate with spring loaded tensioners, conversion cams would have had to be installed as the early cams were not compatible with the later cam plates. The early cams were carried in the cam plate by roller/ball bearings but the later cams are carried in the parent material of the cam plate; outer cam journals are different sizes. The only way early cams could have been retained would have been via the installation of the SE Hybrid kit billet cam plate with tensioners, etc. Which cam plate is installed?

The only way you will know for sure will be to pull the cam cover, which you apparently have done, and you should be able to ID the cam set by the numbers stamped on the nose of the cam shaft.

The other explanation could be that your bike was manufactured late in the model year and the line had been setup for the next model year and your '06 benefitted from that change. I have seen '06 heads on '05 models that came off the line late in the model year.:D[/QUOTE

Exactly....... andrews makes "N" grind cams just for this setup. Thats what i did to mine

You should be able to go to the service department and give them your VIN and they can pull the service history of your bike.

This only works if the work was done at a Harley dealer! If the PO did it himself (like I did early this year before I rode down to Daytona) it's not going to be in the dealer/motor company records.

Did your bike come with any records/receipts? You'd think the PO would brag about the tensioner job as a selling point. I have a little black book I use to record all my maintenance, but that's just me. And yes, the 06's had spring tensioners, the 07's went to Hyd.

Last edited:
Gotta remember here that the newer TC's, not only had the cam-plate and Hydraulic tensioners, there were many Changes in the motor. Like the cams/plate/High flow oil pump, Larger Ina bearings in the motor side to the 1" ALSO from a 4" stroke to a 4.375 stroke. 6 speed tranny was added then also...

Many other Big Changes from the old 06' TC's models besides the spring shoes, changed to the Hydraulic tensioners...

YES the Dyna's were the test bikes and came out early with the above changes...

signed....BUBBIE

If someone installed the SE Hybrid kit billet cam plate, they anodized these billet plates yellow/gold color.

To the OP.
Post the casting number on the cam plate and whatever numbers/letters are stamped on the nose of the cam shafts. Also note whether or not the cam plate has outer cam bearings or not. Better yet, post a picture and the VIN of your bike.

Back