free website stats program cam chain tensioners | Harley Davidson Forums

cam chain tensioners

kevinp

I have a 06 flhtcu. as far as I can tell no real mods have been done on it.
my question is, the cam chain tentioners , should they be the old spring, or hydraulic. I thought they didn't switch to hyd . until the 07 models. the reason I ask is I opened her up to inspect expecting spring type and saw the hyd.
the outside one looks brand new and the inside one the little I could see with a dental mirror looked real good too. she has 65,000 on her and I was wondering if any one who knows this motor would think that they must have been changed all ready. I was just wondering. the dealer that I bought her from was no help. I don't even think they look them over before they put them back out for sale.just my opinion.

You should be able to go to the service department and give them your VIN and they can pull the service history of your bike. Don't do this when they are busy. I bought a bike from Eaglerider and my local dealer pulled up it's history as far as any work done by a Harley dealer (delivered to and regulator recall/replacement). I not sure but many dealers do not do anything to trade in's at all.

If memory serves me I believe 07 was the first year of the hydraulic, with 65,000 miles and they look that good I'm guessing they have been changed.

If memory serves me I believe 07 was the first year of the hydraulic, with 65,000 miles and they look that good I'm guessing they have been changed.

06 Dyna's and correct 07's on the rest.

More than likely not over 25 to 30 thousand when replaced to Hydraulics (Just a Guess)

That kind of surprise is Nice.... Maybe different cams I Would Not Doubt... And the Ina's changed out to boot... (usually are then)

This means you not only have the Hydraulics but Must also have the High Flow Oil Pump that is sold as a Unit usually on this type of change over...

These newer style Hydraulic Shoes will last longer than the motors will.:D

My 09 shoes at 66,000 miles looked great and minimum wear on the outer None on the inner... I did replace the outer one Just because I had a new one bought when I totally rebuilt my top end to 103 with all new parts.

signed....BUBBIE

thanks guys that was what I was thinking too. I just needed to hear from some one who knows about the 88s. I was just getting used to the evo and then added this one to the garage last year. a whole new game hear to learn. lol:D

I was just wondering. the dealer that I bought her from was no help. I don't even think they look them over before they put them back out for sale.just my opinion.

They certainly look bikes over before reselling them but I'm also certain they don't expend any man hours actually opening any covers and inspecting anything internally.

07 was definately the first year for hydraulics. They have been changed. The cam plate had to be changed also. Pop open one of your pushrod tubes to see if you have adjudtable pushrods. If you do they did tge change without pulling the rocker covers.

If your '06 came off the line with spring loaded tensioners that would mean that it also came off the line with the smaller inner cam bearings. If an '07 OEM cam plate with the hydro tensioners replaced the original cam plate with spring loaded tensioners, conversion cams would have had to be installed as the early cams were not compatible with the later cam plates. The early cams were carried in the cam plate by roller/ball bearings but the later cams are carried in the parent material of the cam plate; outer cam journals are different sizes. The only way early cams could have been retained would have been via the installation of the SE Hybrid kit billet cam plate with tensioners, etc. Which cam plate is installed?

The only way you will know for sure will be to pull the cam cover, which you apparently have done, and you should be able to ID the cam set by the numbers stamped on the nose of the cam shaft.

The other explanation could be that your bike was manufactured late in the model year and the line had been setup for the next model year and your '06 benefitted from that change. I have seen '06 heads on '05 models that came off the line late in the model year.:D

Back