free website stats program Cam chain tensioners??? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam chain tensioners???

Did your warranty cover the replacement? The service manager at my dealer told me I could pay to have them checked and if they needed to be replaced the extended service plan would pay to replace them. This not true?

They are probably only going to replace like-for-like. That then just gives you new spring loaded tensioners rather then one of the up-grade options. Most of us would recommend the roller chain conversion or even the gear drive as an alternative to the spring-loaded tensioners.

Check this:

Roller Chain Conversion white paper

Roller-chain Conversion - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

They are probably only going to replace like-for-like. That then just gives you new spring loaded tensioners rather then one of the up-grade options. Most of us would recommend the roller chain conversion or even the gear drive as an alternative to the spring-loaded tensioners.

Check this:

Roller Chain Conversion white paper

Roller-chain Conversion - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

well if they will replace with same tensioners for free I am fine with that, I have 5 years of this warranty left to think about paying for an upgrade out of my pocket. According to my dealer they will pay to fix if inspected and too thin, or if fail. My only concern is being stranded or being down for a long time for serious engine problems. I will probably just have them checked for peace of mind and if they are bad let them replace them.

you can cut your oil filter open at oil change time which a person should
do and see whats inside if you find chunks of red plastic tensioners are failing
also cut out a section of element squish out oil in vise and unfold the pleats it reads like a book if there is a failure starting anywhere in your engine

fish

had same problem on 06 sG. you let granade warranty wont cover. considered a maintanence item and your on your own. had mine changed over to hyd system. cam plate bearings high volume pump installed by dealer $ 1000.

had same problem on 06 sG. you let granade warranty wont cover. considered a maintanence item and your on your own. had mine changed over to hyd system. cam plate bearings high volume pump installed by dealer $ 1000.

well I'm not sure why he told me it is covered if its not.

i was told it would be under warranty. so i had them check the shoes. almost down to metal and cracked. told them to go ahead and replace. i was told it would be x amount of money. so we got into warranty issue and was told not covered maintence item contacted customer rep and was told same. was told it was the same as tires brakes belts a wear item. so bit the bullet and had hyd conversion kit installed. hope u have better luck but they would not help me. Good luck

i was told it would be under warranty. so i had them check the shoes. almost down to metal and cracked. told them to go ahead and replace. i was told it would be x amount of money. so we got into warranty issue and was told not covered maintence item contacted customer rep and was told same. was told it was the same as tires brakes belts a wear item. so bit the bullet and had hyd conversion kit installed. hope u have better luck but they would not help me. Good luck

you should have tried another dealer I have seen several people on this forum who had their tensioners replaced under the extended warranty. Seems strange that the dealers could be doing it if its not a covered item. There was even one forum I read of a woman who lost an engine do to tensioners and the new engine was covered under the ESP as well.

Back