free website stats program cam chain tensioners | Harley Davidson Forums

cam chain tensioners

caseyleiser

I,ve got an 05 ultra with a 103 motor, pc111 s.e. fillter & monster mufflers. I had the dealer check my cam chain tensioners, he says they were shot and part of one went into the oil pump. They,ve ordered a new pump and the bike will be ready next week. I have the extended warranty and expect this to be covered. Am I right or wrong. I,d get gear drive, but if it,s warranty work they probably have to stay stock. Unless I want to pay extra.:newsmile040::newsmile040:

The tensioners are listed as a wear item, to be checked periodically. I'd say you'll have to pay for the repair. If you get it free, consider yourself very lucky.

If you are going to keep the bike another 30K miles, I would pay for the gear drives. I put some in at about 25K and I sleep better at night when I am 3 days away from the house and I don't have to worry about those tensioners letting go at the worst possible time. Mine were nearly shot when I changed them out. That is a really poorly designed set up, almost engineered to fail-eventually.

Seeing as they have an upgrade and a known problem I bet its covered, JMO

There was a class action law suit on this. The motor company broke the engine into 3 parts for this to cut down on claims brought against them. The result of this was the company extended warranty up to 50,000 miles or 5 years whichever came first. The reason for breaking up into 3 areas was that other parts of the engine were being damage due to failure of tensioners and parts going through oil system. This might come up on a google or other search engine search. I would expect the dealer to let you know.

They are covered under the Extended Warranty. I have 66000.00 miles on mine 05 Electra Glide Standard, and they replaced mine under the Extended Warranty. 50.00 bucks New Cam Bearings, Cams, lifters, oil pump and tensioners.

thanks for the replies. I like tlyoungb,s answer best. Hope you,re right. I,ll let you all know how it goes. .....i,ll phone them tomorrow and see what I can get a gear drive for.

hi smitty, just read your reply, sounds like hydraulic is the way to go. I went back in the forum and read your earlier posts. Bet there,s more on the subject in the self help section. I got some reading to do. Wil let you know what the dealer says tomorow. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Back