free website stats program Cam Chain tensioners and oil pump | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam Chain tensioners and oil pump

cowboywildbill

I just put my bike in at our Dealer to check and replace tensioners if needed.
I figured it was going to need them as it had just turned 29,960 miles.
The tensioners were just worn enough to replace, considering the labor to tear it down to have a look, might as well replace them now.
The oil pump was marred or scored and needed to be replaced also. Apparently this bike has been pulled down before and maybe someone didn't install the pump and align it properly. They said the crank and everything else was OK. I was wondering why the oil pres would read different when at the same temp after slowing down and speeding up back at same RPM, different reading. Then if you excellerated hard the pressure would climb back up to 32 psi at cruise, if you didn't excellerate hard and slowly gained RPM the pres would stay down about to about 26 psi after reaching the same cruise rpm as before? Since this was a police bike, it might have had the tensioners replaced once already. A couple of mechanics told me that they see more worn out tensioners at earlier odometer readings when the bikes are run hot and idle hot for extended periods like police bikes would do. I haven't picked it up yet, but I hope this is it for a while. The $326 for a new pump and the $180 for pushrods made this a pricy maintance item. I was expecting the pushrods but the pump? OH well ! When you buy a used bike, you don't always really know waht you get until you work on it. First it was a short, then a loose compensator nut, that had anti seize on it from a previous repair and now the pump. I still love the bike, but I hope this is the end of the surprises with it.
It sure would have been nice if they had pulled off the cone and called me and said, gee this bikes already has a gear drive set up in it instead of it needs a pump too!.

I can symparthize with you as I did the roller chain conversion on my '99 Ultra about 1000 miles ago, and you're right, it's pricey. But, the bike runs better, I have oil pressure regardless of how long it's been run or how hot, and like you, I love this bike, so it's money well spent.

I agree, I like this bike better than my 97 hp Springer. The FLH is just more comfortable. My bill came to just a hair under $1,100 US dollars.
I should have spent the extra $400 and did a gear drive. OH Well at least maybe I'll have piece of mind now.

Back