free website stats program Cam Chain Tensioner | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam Chain Tensioner

Bubbie makes a great point. Just replace them and let it rip.

I don't disagree, conceptually anyway, with Bubbie's "replace and go" suggestion, if it were me I would not replace with the OEM tensioners.

The downside that I see to replacing the tensioners with the OEM units is that you can't get away from the issue of catastrophic failure without warning which is related to the spring tension on the OEM tensioner, the material of which the OEM tensioner is made and the effect of heat and oil on the OEM tensioner material.

Every wonder why the MoCo didn't make the cam chain tensioners from the same material as the primary chain tensioner which is exposed to heat and oil?? I have. The upside of the CYCO tensioner is that the material is very similar to the same material of which the primary chain tensioner is made and they are about half the cost.

The Drag Specialties pump was suggested in my previous post, not so much for the increased flow but for the increased scavenging which is the only real deficiency of the early OEM pump. Of course, if budget is an issue, re-use the OEM pump but add the Baisley pressure relief spring to increase idle and low end oil pressure. JMHO.:s

Yeah I wasn't clear on that but would definitely go with Cyco's if that was the route taken too.

Thanks all, really good info here, just what I needed....

Ok guys, so I been looking around. Harley wants around 350 for the SE hydraulic plate and high flow oil pump conversion. I cant afford that right now, So I'm thinking just the CYCO shoe replacement as Bubbie mentioned. However comma, I can't seem to find them on the interwebs, lol. I just find a listing with a part number. Anybody know where I can order them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok guys, so I been looking around. Harley wants around 350 for the SE hydraulic plate and high flow oil pump conversion. I cant afford that right now, So I'm thinking just the CYCO shoe replacement as Bubbie mentioned. However comma, I can't seem to find them on the interwebs, lol. I just find a listing with a part number. Anybody know where I can order them?

CYCO may not be selling "retail"; seems it depends on who answers the phone. Let me know if you run into this problem. Their gaskets are quality as well.

harley davidson gaskets

Hi! Who put tensioners from "CUSTOM HROM" of black color? It is quickly erased?

"CUSTOM CHROME OR WPS"

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:
I had the new SE upgrade and inner race upgrade done at 40 thousand miles on my 05 FXDWG. There was very little material left, but no metal-to-metal contact yet. You need special tools to do the job properly, and there are good videos available to look over and decide if you want to try.

Thanks all, really good info here, just what I needed....

Go back and click the link that Bubbie supplied in his post will take you to the CYCO site.

Back