free website stats program Cam Chain Tensioner | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam Chain Tensioner

Thanks again guys. Yeah I really need to get in there. Just hit 14,300. Is it more tedious, or more difficult? I wish I could find a good video that highlights the process to inspect/replace lol. I learn by seeing visual aides. still photos help but videos are obviously the best way. Also what is the average price for the new shoes?

Thanks again guys. Yeah I really need to get in there. Just hit 14,300. Is it more tedious, or more difficult? I wish I could find a good video that highlights the process to inspect/replace lol. I learn by seeing visual aides. still photos help but videos are obviously the best way. Also what is the average price for the new shoes?
Try You tube.

Just hit 14,300. Is it more tedious, or more difficult? I wish I could find a good video that highlights the process to inspect/replace

There's a ton of stuff out there on this including videos.

Here is a link to BigAl66's write up on the hydraulic conversion. Click on the first pic and it goes into a slide show with very good explanations written below each picture. Even if you would just replace tensioners, there is a lot of info you would still need.

Harley Davidson Forums

Awesome. Thanks all. I searched youtube but I kept running into those "fixmyhog" guys that charge for their videos. So I was like, nah... lol. I'm going to get on it this weekend.

Ok, so my shoes are definitely worn down, need replacing. Whats the more cost effective option? new shoes or hydraulic replacement? anybody have links to the hydraulic replacement so I can do some research on it?

Ok, so my shoes are definitely worn down, need replacing. Whats the more cost effective option? new shoes or hydraulic replacement? anybody have links to the hydraulic replacement so I can do some research on it?

There are two ways, actually three but one I would not recommend, to go hydraulic.

1. '07 later OEM cam plate and necessary hardware . The high volume oil pump and all other hardware (OEM parts) have to be purchased separately to complete the conversion and conversion cams are required.
2. SE kit #28254-11 which includes a billet cam plate, hi volume oil pump and all necessary hardware except a shim pack and retains the use of the early OEM Morse inner chain which allows the use of OEM cams.
3. SE kit #25282-11 which includes a billet cam plate and high volume oil pump but all other hardware (OEM parts) have to be purchased separately to complete the conversion and conversion cams are required.

The easy/cheap way to solve the issue but not go hydraulic would be to replace your tensioners with the CYCO units. Your chain has been "polished" from previous wear and while still a link chain as opposed to a roller, will run on the tensioners without the abrasiveness of when new. Purchase a high volume pump from Drag Specialties and upgrade the inner cam bearings while at it; run OEM cams or aftermarket; close up the cam chest and forget about tensioners for a while.

Dolt put it pretty concise for you. Now you have to define "cost effective". Not to us but to yourself.......Easiest/cheapest and then drawing a line on where to stop on all the others is the hard part.......Ask me how I know. It can be an affliction that I think many of us suffer from. :D

Nikko,

IF you want the Easy less $$ way out Just replace the shoes and keep an eye on them.

With new shoes and NOT reversing the chains as they are worn Smooooooth now..(keep them the same direction) the shoes Should last a Lot longer. I have had many tell me so from using the newer shoes and not wanting to do anything with the Hydraulics right now...

You have Really Low miles on your ride... IF happy with the ride you have right now????? Why Not Keep it with only new shoes for now...

Nothing too wrong with that. Get a few more thousand (20 thous. more) then decide to do a Bore/Heads/cams/conversion to the hydraulics/newTuner/yada yada...

More than likely you will like/need to do a new build by then...:s

I have usually waited to around 40/50 thousand miles on some of my bikes until I do that POWER rebuild.

Just My Way

signed....BUBBIE

Back