free website stats program Cam chain tensioner | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam chain tensioner

:D Looks good Mark, periodic checks and quality oil a big plus IMO

https://sphotos-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/s403x403/1240506_10201098951049844_1704348086_n.jpg

Here a close up photo of the cam chain tensioner on my 08 FLHTC. bike has 35k on theclock.

Thank you for sharing the photo with us. It sure does make me feel better about mine since I done the cam chain conversion at 29,000 miles. I now have 38,000 on her. Best upgrade you can do on the older bikes besides the TFI upgrade. Hats off to you Mavagrand!:s Good job.

Tearing into My 09 96" FLHR early on for installing se255 cams, Looking at the SLIGHTEST wear outer shoe and then the NOT Even Worn Inner shoe:s

I did replace the Outer shoe this time around when I had it apart for the new Build to 103" with new gaterman lifters n another new set of se255 cams......:D

The TOP Inner cam wear pad at 65,000 miles, only had a slight amount of grooves from the outer chain rails and the chain rollers had Not Yet run onto the fiber...
(I do have good oil pressure)

That outer did show the chain fully running on the tensioner BUT i'd bet it would Never need replacing in another 65,000 miles.

Not even close to wearing out enough for replacement but while I was there.............:guitar

I Did replace the outer one mainly Because I had a new one and didn't plan a return trip in the cam-chest for quite a while...

Disclosure information about my Magic Oil.......

I use ALL Redline Products:

20/50 for the motor and HD filters... Seldom over 4,000 mile between changes UNLES on a trip.

MTL = Primary (4,000 to 8,000 miles max)

shockproof heavy = tranny (20,000 miles like the book says)

signed....BUBBIE

Aren't the '08 engines equipped with hydraulic tensioners? If so, isn't that what solved the problem with tensioners exploding in earlier engines and in that case shouldn't those tensioners pictured look like that anyhow?

Confused and curious as I have an '06 with 18K on it that I will soon have to address this issue.

The hydraulic tensioners were not the only thing that solved the problem. The original cam timing chains were the "silent" type, which is a series of flat plates riveted together. There are many surfaces to cut into a tensioner. The new chains are "roller" chains. The side links can/will wear a groove, then the rollers in the center of the chain prevent further wear of the tensioner surface. I posted a couple of links for comparison.

Ramsey Silent Chain Center Guide SC405 | eBay

80H Heavy Roller Chain 10ft Premium New from Factory | eBay

Planning a trip to Memphis in a couple of weeks so I opened the cam cover on my 02 glide today @ 39k on it and was very surprised it looked really good. Planning to up grade to either gear drive or SE upgrade this winter though.

Planning a trip to Memphis in a couple of weeks so I opened the cam cover on my 02 glide today @ 39k on it and was very surprised it looked really good. Planning to up grade to either gear drive or SE upgrade this winter though.

I had really good results on my 00FXDS going 95" and Gear drives
(get rid of the ina's in the motor block for the cams):s

If your crank run-out is about .0015 (great) and under .0035 (low.0015 normal on this early TC motor)it will take to the gears just fine.

I went thru a lot of extra $$ doing 570 G cams , head work , wiseco 10.5 to 1 pistons, delkron cam-plate (your stock one is fine), HD programable Ignition

Might be your motor is the last year for timken bearings on the inners of the crank... Not sure when they changed but close.. (Means a better crank)IMHO

OR you can go the SE way... But using the chain and hydraulic system...:D

You have a long time to make up your mind...:small3d009:

signed....BUBBIE

The hydraulic tensioners were not the only thing that solved the problem. The original cam timing chains were the "silent" type, which is a series of flat plates riveted together. There are many surfaces to cut into a tensioner. The new chains are "roller" chains. The side links can/will wear a groove, then the rollers in the center of the chain prevent further wear of the tensioner surface. I posted a couple of links for comparison.

Ramsey Silent Chain Center Guide SC405 | eBay

80H Heavy Roller Chain 10ft Premium New from Factory | eBay

Thanx for the info, Breeze. Good to know.

Yes, thank you, good to know. Since I am converting my pipes to true duals this week, I will open my chest up as well to check on things.

Back