free website stats program Cam Chain Tensioner | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam Chain Tensioner

I loved the idea of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" :)
Below is the list of the parts needed for the replacements that the HD mechanic told me... (I know that there are some recurring parts because of the already existing parts in KITs)

They cost about 1100-1500$
The service will cost me about 1000$ more. :(
2500$ for a 30k Miles service...
Oh my god I can't belive it...

I think I'm gonna replace;
* Oil
* Tranny oil
* Cam chains (not quite sure if I should replace them)
* Cam tensioners
* Fuel filter
* Oil filter

and will not touch the rest until a problem or an abnormal sound arises :)

Does that sound meaningful to you guys?

I did NOT repeat the list of parts here, but where did that list of required parts come from? You DO NOT need all those parts to check/replace the tensioners on your bike. The list that Dolt provided above including the adjustable pushrods is the about all you would need to just change out the tensioners. Seems to me that someone is getting you to buy a bunch of stuff that THEY may need for other projects!!

To replace the tensioners you will need to do the following:
  • Get HD Factory Service Manual covering your model and year
  • Collapse pushrod covers and cut pushrods (so you need new adjustable ones as replacements - see Dolt's post above)
  • Remove the cam cover (so you need a new gasket to replace old one)
  • Remove outer tensioner and chain guide (new ones needed - in kit)
  • Remove support plate (so need new O-rings - in kit)
  • Remove inner tensioner (replace with new one - kit)
  • If you have the INA inner cam shaft bearings, replace with Torrington bearings (see below)
  • Replace everything you took off
  • Install and adjust new pushrods
  • Install exhaust and heat shields if you had to remove

For the INA bearing replacement, see here:

Cam Chain Tensioner Bearing Swap. - Harley Davidson Community

For the fluids change, see here:

Oil Suggestions For Harleys - Harley Davidson Community

Good luck.

TQ

I have an 04 ultra with 75000 and just know replacing mine. The rear was pretty much gone front maybe half. It has a big bore kit and i ride it like i stole it and have since new! Guess i can't complain. Ran sin oil from new all parts including bearing look new.

SALSERO if you bought all those parts to do cam chain Tensioners from your mechanic, I have some lake front property in Florida I'd like to sell you:)
Just kidding, but I would fine a new shop to deal with, or fly me over to do the work, it would still be cheaper.

Chop, if I were Salsero, and "given" an estimate to replace all those parts, I would probably take you up on that, even if I was in Turkey...I hear the weather is nice and warm over there...passport "ready"? :bigsmiley24:

hmm, so for a brand new to Harley ownership rider with a used 09 Ultra with 15k miles, do they have a newer style of cam chain tension mechanism I dont have to be so worried about? Just wondering what other hidden Harley ownership costs I just bought in to :).

thanks,
Phil

Phil, you got a top of the line 09, I'm a poet and didn't know it, all joking aside the only cost of owning the 09 you have to worry about is the price of gas & tires, you bought a great bike with all the upgrades. don't worry be happy:)

Touche Hobbit, I guess Harley is a drug of choice, some of us don't have the habbit as bad as you and RichardS,,,,, ok I'm addicted too and maybe worse, I need a tool fix every two weeks or I run amuck.

Hey gents, when did they switch to the Torrington inner cam bearings? Or did they switch away from them? In any case, I'm coming rapidly upon my 20K mark on my '03 RK (late), and am strongly considering going to the hydro-adjusters. Just wondering if I need to plan/save for the inner cam bearings as well. If I don't need the bearings, I will likely do my own wrenching, but if I need the bearings, I don't trust my skills to be able to "press" the new ones in,and will have to go with a pro.

As long as I'm in there, I might go with a mild cam upgrade as well. I'll be completing a home-grown stage-1 very soon. I already have Hooker Tuned-Flow slip-ons, stock ECU download, and will get an SE intake and a TFI, as soon as I get my speedo/tach (on backorder from HD). I need the tach for tuning the TFI.

Thoughts?

Enjoy,
Rich P

Harley does not use Torrington inner cam bearings. They are aftermarket, but good aftermarket. If I was doing it I would have no problem using the HD inner cam bearings that come in the gasket kit, in the earlier days I would not put cams in with out using Torrington inner cam bearings but back then the dividers in HD bearings were plastic, now they use metal instead of plastic, when I was in Milwaukee attending a HD class I had a chance to talk to one of Harleys engineers and asked him why Harley used those cheesy bearings and his reply was that they are more forgiving on cam alignment, so I do have mixed feeling, but have never had a problem with Torrington bearings, they are a quality bearing. Ether way you go, I would install new inner cam bearings for sure. Good luck and have fun, that's what it's all about.

Back