free website stats program Cam Chain Tensioner Replacement | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam Chain Tensioner Replacement

Kansasjase

I'm fixin to inspect my cam chain tensioners and I won't be surprised if they need to be replaced. If I do need to replace them I'm thinking of doing it myself.

Has anyone here done it themselves? I'm aware of TQ's write up but I was wondering about additional personal experiences.

Ive done um nothing real hard TQ's write up is a great reference.. be a bit different on the Fatboy as its a balanced Engine

I'll happily use TQ's write up if I ever get to 150 posts to download the pdf. Meanwhile, I was just curious about other peoples' experiences.

I guess I didn't know the fact that mine is a balanced engine would make a difference.

Replaced my spring tensioners with the newer hydraulic units and added the high volume oil pump about two years ago. Used TQ's writeup , my shop manual, and other websites that review the procedure. While I was at it, I replaced the inner cam bearings with the newer Torrington units, and upgraded the cams to Andrews 26N's. If you can turn a wrench and follow directions, the conversion isn't all that bad.

I'll happily use TQ's write up if I ever get to 150 posts to download the pdf. Meanwhile, I was just curious about other peoples' experiences.

I guess I didn't know the fact that mine is a balanced engine would make a difference.

Yes being its a B engine will make a difference you can see TQs write up int he self help section you donnt have to download it TQ's Engine Build - Harley Davidson Community

but remember it doesnt cover the Balancers and Timing of them to the crank you will need the manual 100% for sure fi you get the balancers out fo time it will be worse than riding a old Evo rigid mount softail

I replaced my cams with Andrews 21G gear drive cams. I have an 03 Fatboy. The balancers are not an issue as the are on the other side of the motor. Doing a cam/tensioner change will not affect them in anyway. A service manual is a big help as is TQ's write up.
You have many options to consider.

(1) Keep same cams and do the SE cam plate upgrade with new style tensioners. This set up re-uses the silent chain on the old cams but updates the outside chain.

(2) Install conversion cams with the 07 and up style cam plate. If you look at TQ's write up I believe he has a link to Herko who puts together an excellent kit that will have everything in it. I will recommend using the Andrews 21N cam as it is a very good cam and you may not necessarily need to reprogram your ECM if you have fuel injection. A lot of people have used this cam without having to do so.

(3) Go gear drive. Only consider doing this route if you know what your crank pinion run out is. It has to be less than .003". There are some kits on Ebay with the Andrews 21G or 26G cams at a very reasonable price.

You should also replace the inner cam bearing with Torrington B-148 bearings. There is a guy on another forum that makes a puller/installer tool for $85. I don't know if it is okay to list the link so PM me if you want the info.

If you are mechanically inclined it is not that hard to do. TQ did an excellent job with his write up and several of us have now done this on the Forum and will be willing to help with any questions.

Nothing to download. There are some pdfs that are the parts lists from Herko whose kit I used. I have a '03 UC, so this pictorial is that engine. Not sure how the B engine differs in the cam chest if at all. Ping Chopper and ask him a quick question about that.

TQ's Engine Build - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Nothing to download. There are some pdfs that are the parts lists from Herko whose kit I used. I have a '03 UC, so this pictorial is that engine. Not sure how the B engine differs in the cam chest if at all. Ping Chopper and ask him a quick question about that.

TQ's Engine Build - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Thanks... I'll look at your engine build link again (and maybe pay a little closer attention this time). And I'll keep Chopper in mind!

I decided to go the long way and pulled the tank and rocker covers. Waiting on the parts and then we'll begin the recovery!

Back