free website stats program Cam Chain Tensioner conversion system white paper | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam Chain Tensioner conversion system white paper

TQuentin1

Staff member
The link below is to a "white paper" I wrote detailing the alternatives for early TC engines cam chain tensioner system conversions available at the time. Since writing this, Herko no longer puts together and markets his kit. Truly a shame!!

TQ

Attachments

• Roller chain conversion kit white paper.pdf
    341.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
REALLY great to have the Parts shown and information here.. Good of you to write and share with our members TQ!.

Some of the prices seen here WILL have been increased :wall, Andrews parts information also very reliable.

Thanks TQ1...:guitar

signed....BUBBIE

New to the forum and new Harley owner. I have been riding motorcycles for about 35 years and wrench on them myself when I am in my league. I recently purchased a used 2001 FLHTC (my first Harley) and have been reading much about the infamous cam chain tension shoe issue. I read somewhere about checking the crank shaft run out prior to going with the gear setup yet nowhere did I find any details on what the run out tolerances are for the gear setup. TQuentin1 I am curious as to what compelled you to go with the roller chain conversion over the gear drive.

Thanks

Thanks Gary. Now I have to try and decide if I should go with the gear setup or the chain upgrade. Any insight is appreciated.

drummer...it's simple, subtract the number of moving parts (prone to wear) of a gear drive from the number of parts in a chain tensioner system...the result will be.. well you get my point...

drummer...it's simple, subtract the number of moving parts (prone to wear) of a gear drive from the number of parts in a chain tensioner system...the result will be.. well you get my point...
Thanks strat. I get your point. If going with the gear drive system I am guessing I should also upgrade the inner and outer cam bearings and go with the new style oil pump and new cams and adjustable lifters. Does that sound about right?

Feuling makes a cam chest kit, comes complete with oil pump, cam support plate and cams...tho I cannot vouch for the cams, sounds like they did the research...jims lifters and pushrods would be my choice with any performance upgrades

Back