free website stats program Cam Bearings | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cam Bearings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd check it sooner than later. The cam position sensor is about timing, but if the cam bearings are deteriorating and the shaft has moved even microscopically as a result, the sensor value can be out-of-range and set the code. Those things work on electromagnetic principles, so any change in the attitude of the shaft has the potential to alter the sensor value conveyed to the ECM. Your code could be a blessing in disguise- You may not be noticing anything abnormal at this point, but if something gives, you're sure gonna wish you had been pro-active about it. I vote to gitterdun!

Happy Motorin'! -F-

I have a 2000 fxds bought new..... the cut-off date on the bearing problem was mid dec of 1999 when they changed over to the NEWER style bearing......MY DATE was 09/99 so i had the bearing to replace..... I did a lot of talk with customer service(factory) at the time and ended up using BAD language to a know-it-all tec (female) ...I did the work myself as harley would not change NOR furnish any parts until it totally went out.....

THE harley cust-serv can give the EXACT DATE using engine number OR by going with your BUILT DATE located on the frame..... DEC 15 99 should be the newer style...If it were built in JAN and ON of 2000 .. It will have the BETTER style of bearing......

I did it right when it was down and replaced the chains also and went to 570 SS gear drive cam with delcron cam support plate and FUELING oil pump......

NO REGRETS NOW......... LOTS OF MILES AND TROUBLE-FREE

signed....BUBBIE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back