free website stats program California emission control removal?? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

California emission control removal??

Ok wrench turners and grease burners, so that brings me to the top question; I should have one of the local HD shop remove and retune the bike. Hell if it can be put on it can be taken off right?

Will the Cali emission have an inpact on mods such as Screaming Eagle pipes and stage one?

Anyone know the procedure for removing the emission control system and still have a well tune RK pulling as manny Gs on the turn they way it was meant to be??

Thanks, Not Very PC and Glider I hope I am not being a pain in the ar$$

Big Lou

Before you consider the obvious removal of the EVAP system, check on other specs such as cam specs (timing and the cams themselves) and gearing also. You may go through all this and still be left with not what you wanted to accomplish. You may also find that the HD shops will not remove the system for you as I'm sure it violates some laws and we know how they are in the first place.:D

Why not try the bike out first and see if you are happy with the system in place.

Glider, you can bet on it; the minute I sit on the bike, crank it up and roll, if I am happy with the performance you better believe it, Cali emission will not be a problem at all. 32 year in the Army makes me ask lots of questions about how things operate. Been in since High school and don't know how to be a civilian yet, but I think it will come natural!
Big Lou
Ride hard and live free

I think once I crank her up and pull the throtle, I will be at ease and forget about the Cali emission control. If it's OK with all the fast rollers in Cali, it will be ok with me too.

The waiting is a factor:x

Big Lou

7hp cost $550+ (SERT + Custom map & dyno tune) 7hp!:no:no:no:no
I would make my decision based on
#1 do you plan future engine mods? How radical?
#2 Unless your gonna have the Heads worked, Bump up compression, Full performance exhaust & intake as well as a cam swap. I would leave it stock and ride it.

PC, I concur 100% with you and Glider dude,

but will I be able to change the pipes to Screaming Eagles or Rihnehart with the Cali emission?? I don't plan on changing engine original configuration or replacing the heads. Just pipes and chrome.

Hey I sure appreciate all of you guys help, really do!

Big Lou

You no doubt have the 02 sensors on your 07 cali bike. The dealers are saying that you can do it without any remaps but I don't agree there. These bikes especially the cali models are running very lean and need more fuel.

I run a TFI on mine and it works well. I don't see any reason you can't put one on yours and then you can adjust the fuel yourself. They are an easy installation and work well. Tech support is the best too.
Just check if fitment is a problem on the cali bikes with George.

http://www.techlusion.com/

George is the guy to talk to there with any questions.

To contact them via phone please call them at:
(877) 764-3337 Toll free
(406) 388-2377

HD's 49 state Stage 1 canned map is a real good map for a left state bike that is only running slip-ons with no other changes.
The TFI is a very good ECU upgrade for mild to moderate engine mods (bolt ons with stock heads and comp. ratio)and by far the easiest to set-up and use. If you plan more changes than just the slip-ons but nothing wild the TFI unit is your best bet. Cuts out all the time and money for Dyno Tunes.
I would definitely not use the slip-on mufflers without a TFI or remap. If left state bikes were any leaner you'd burn plugs, pistons and valves like it was cool.

This is really stupid of me to ask, but how do you know if you have a California bike or not. I bought mine from the Reno, Nevada dealer.

You would have a few parts on a cali. bike that arent't on other bikes like an evap system which is a carbon can that stores gas fumes for one thing. I'm sure the dealer could tell you through the VIN number also.

To be sure, visit "www.bikebandit.com" and view their Harley microfiche. Compare the parts with those on the Cali. microfiche model.

This is really stupid of me to ask, but how do you know if you have a California bike or not. I bought mine from the Reno, Nevada dealer.

the 6th position on your vin will tell you. it's the introduction date but it also tell you if it's Cali. or not.
1=regular
2=mid-year
3=California/regular
4=Cosmetic changes
5=California/cosmetic changes
6=California/mid-year
1-----2----3---4----5---6---7--8---9-----10
(1) (HD) (1) (BV) (5) (1) (3) (7) (K) (111000)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back