free website stats program California emission control removal?? | Harley Davidson Forums

California emission control removal??

csmlopez

Has anyone removed the California emission control from their scoot?

I just bought a brand new 07 Road King with California emission control. I live in North Carolina and don't need emission control. So whay the heck did I get it? I bought it thru the Military HD Sales in Kuwait and for $14,325 straight from the factory; too good a deal to pass up.

What all needs to be done?
How hard is it to do it your self?
If I don't take it off; what impact does it have on performance??

Do I even need to worrie about it?

Thanks in advance
CSM Lopez (Big Lou)

I wouldn't worry about it myself. It may impact resale in the future should you remove it not to mention how it may run afterwards.

Basically it consists of a carbon tank vent for the fuel tank which rebreathes the fuel vapors and catalist mufflers but there are other differences in the motor and support systems as well. I believe cam timing is different on the cali. models and the power output is significantly lower than the other other US models by a considerable amount.

HD factory told me it can be removed, but not to worrie about it because unless I put it on a DYNO I won't be able to tell out put diference??

Love the blue RK

Big Lou

HD factory told me it can be removed, but not to worrie about it because unless I put it on a DYNO I won't be able to tell out put diference??

Love the blue RK

Big Lou
My Harley to real people Dictionary says that means - "We're to dumb to give you an honest answer so we'll give you standard reply #4"
Reply #4 - Don't worry about it they all do/sound/run like that and you'll never know the difference :nosad

Love the blue RK

Big Lou

If I recall somewhere in my gray matter , it was something like 5-7 HP less on the smog vehicles.

If I recall somewhere in my gray matter , it was something like 5-7 HP less on the smog vehicles.
Best HP I've seen on the Dyno Jet was 55hp for a TC88 and 57hp for TC96 with full emisions.
The TC88 was a 05 RKC that made 64hp with the smog crap removed and SERT Dyno tuned. We weren't looking for the extra HP just trying to get the off idle stumble out of it.
Added an air-cleaner and V&H pipe it tuned out to 78hp & 84tq.

Ok wrench turners and grease burners, so that brings me to the top question; I should have one of the local HD shop remove and retune the bike. Hell if it can be put on it can be taken off right?

Will the Cali emission have an inpact on mods such as Screaming Eagle pipes and stage one?

Anyone know the procedure for removing the emission control system and still have a well tune RK pulling as manny Gs on the turn they way it was meant to be??

Thanks, Not Very PC and Glider I hope I am not being a pain in the ar$$

Big Lou

Last edited:
Back