free website stats program Cal. Only, SMOG Issues | Harley Davidson Forums

Cal. Only, SMOG Issues

billnapabill

Anybody got any new news on the SMOG issues facing California Harley owners? The lastest thing I've heard is, Keep all your stock stuff and be ready to re-tune cuz it's'a coming. I've heard some counties are even gonna test dB's (loudness) and the EPA is gonna set limits. Man! it's getting tuff to do what's right in this state.

Currently new regulations by C.A.R.B. are being evaluated and a new proposal is due soon with hearings to follow. Until that proposal hits the streets it hard to say what is in store for us CA folk. Heres a couple links that I track info on. Subject Top Page: On-Road Motorcycle Regulation
Subject Top Page: Motorcycle Aftermarket Parts

Here is an informative link that has some FAQ information for CA folks, seems to be a copy of CHP memo.
http://www.bikersrights.com/states/california/chp/chp98-100/CHP98_100.pdf

Last edited:
I don't think I'll worry about it until it happens. Of course, considering the state's pocketbook malfunctions of late, they may do it just to make some extra bucks. I really don't believe with the ratio of cars to street bikes that the amount of air pollution is truly an issue.

I don't think I'll worry about it until it happens. Of course, considering the state's pocketbook malfunctions of late, they may do it just to make some extra bucks. I really don't believe with the ratio of cars to street bikes that the amount of air pollution is truly an issue.
What have you guys done to your Road Glides? I know Smokintoad's bike has a catalytic converter. I assume yours does. Way's around? Ideas? What have you done with the ECM? I have found that the Closed Loop injection system is limiting options and there doesn't seem to be any offerings for "Legal" performance enhancements coming out. Besides Harley seems to be taking a hard stance on aftermarket modifications here in California. Any advice?

What have you guys done to your Road Glides? I know Smokintoad's bike has a catalytic converter. I assume yours does. Way's around? Ideas? What have you done with the ECM? I have found that the Closed Loop injection system is limiting options and there doesn't seem to be any offerings for "Legal" performance enhancements coming out. Besides Harley seems to be taking a hard stance on aftermarket modifications here in California. Any advice?

So far I have not done any performance mods. I am considering a SE Heavy Breather and SE Street Performance slip-on mufflers with just the Stage 1 ECM adjustment. On my XL1200N I had Cycleshack slip-ons and the Heavy Breather with Stage 1 and I liked the seat of pants change in performance while maintaining the around 47 mpg. So I would not mind a bit more performance as long as I keep reasonable MPG and the parts all meet CARB (green light in the MA catalog) just in case. I have a friend with an 05' RG who is having issues due to an aftermarket tuner installation with other performance upgrades too, and he regrets going too far with his mods. He spends more time and money on keeping it running than I do riding. I take a minimalist stance, I like dependability over HP, TQ, or speed.

I know what I'm going to do, nothing till it happens,Then I will sell my 06 Heritage to someone outside of CA that's wants I very nice Motorcycle. Then I'll buy a 1999 or older NON SNOGGED rebuilt Hertiage or Road king all decked out or deck it out my self how I want it. It's a very simple Decision for me here in CA. The best thing would be to move out of CA. But mom is in an assisted living home right now.

Just4u...don't give up that quickly, keep your ride and when (if) the legistlation goes through, hopefully you have the takeoffs to put them on when SMOG inspections become a necessity. Only to cover you if you get stopped and get a fix'it ticket. Then think about a second bike, good excuse to have a second ride or time sensitive alternative, CA is a great place to live and ride in between regardless. :D

I will keep my ride for now, I've spent a lot of time and $$$ to set it up how I want it.
I'm not going to do anything til the day comes with the new CA smog Issue.
I do have all the Stock parts for the smog checks or fix'it tickets. I want to leave this high cost state (CA)any way. I want to cash in and move to Montana, where Family live. If the new CA smog for Cycles goes threw it will not happen till 2012. that give me three years to ride the wheels off my 06.

Last edited:

I put an Arlen Ness sucker on with the Dobeck TFI and Jackpot slip-ons. As far as 'legal' performance enhancements... to each his own. And if you do the aftermarket modifications yourself, HD can take whatever stance they want to.

I put an Arlen Ness sucker on with the Dobeck TFI and Jackpot slip-ons. As far as 'legal' performance enhancements... to each his own. And if you do the aftermarket modifications yourself, HD can take whatever stance they want to.
I tried the SE slip ons without doing anything with the Converter and was disappointed with the (lack of) sound outa the bike, I ended up installing the V&H True Duals and putting the Fulsac 1.75" baffels in the mufs. I have the Dobeck TFI but haven't installed it yet. Did the TFI make a big difference?

Back