free website stats program Cage mileage when pulling a trailer | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cage mileage when pulling a trailer

Sorry about hijacking the thread but it seems like a good place to be discussing this stuff.

I had another (probably harebrained) idea.

On some motorcycle windshields you can get a vent to bleed some air into the low pressure area behind the windshield.

Go get some of that flexible tubing that they use for heat and air conditioning ducts. Cut a couple holes in the front of your trailer. I'm thinking at the top ourside corners, but there might be a better placement. Hook the flexible vent up to those holes and run it along the top inside corners of the trailer. Cut a couple holes in the back of the trailer and hook the flexible vent up to that.

Now when you're running down the road it'll bleed off some of that air pushing on the front of the trailer and send it right out the back to lessen the suction on the back of the trailer.

Just a quick idea. Maybe there's a better placement for the intakes and outlets.

Sorry about hijacking the thread but it seems like a good place to be discussing this stuff.

I had another (probably harebrained) idea.

On some motorcycle windshields you can get a vent to bleed some air into the low pressure area behind the windshield.

Go get some of that flexible tubing that they use for heat and air conditioning ducts. Cut a couple holes in the front of your trailer. I'm thinking at the top ourside corners, but there might be a better placement. Hook the flexible vent up to those holes and run it along the top inside corners of the trailer. Cut a couple holes in the back of the trailer and hook the flexible vent up to that.

Now when you're running down the road it'll bleed off some of that air pushing on the front of the trailer and send it right out the back to lessen the suction on the back of the trailer.

Just a quick idea. Maybe there's a better placement for the intakes and outlets.

Don't really want to cut up my trailer, but in theory it sounds like it would help.

The irony of this whole discusiion is that, the hope for a one gallon mpg difference may be pushing it :wall

I have a haul mark 6x10...pull it with Tahoe with a 5.7 lite engine Pull a Bass Boat...no problem! not much loss in mileage 16 down to 13...and the boat is about 2200 counting trailer...but pull the 6X10 enclosed trailer..which weights 900 ld and the bikes 800 pounds ..mileage drops to 9 mpg..really (edited)...lol Too much wind resistence.

[notes]
A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
[/notes]

Don't really want to cut up my trailer, but in theory it sounds like it would help.

The irony of this whole discusiion is that, the hope for a one gallon mpg difference may be pushing it :wall

It's even more ironic since we are talking about using a bad fuel mileage vehicle to haul a good fuel mileage vehicle.

I could use some help on loading a Kendon trailer. I notice buddybr hauled his 07 Road King and I have an 09 FLHTC. Do you drive it on or push it on with a lot of help? Do you use the Kendon ramp or a wider ATV type ramp? Thanks for the help.

I pull a 7x14 flat nose Horton that I had a bit of extra work done too. The trailer weighs 3600 empty, I had yhe floor joists set on 12" centers and an overhead cabnet. I thought I wanted a vee nose but the guys in Ga. said with the didderance in weighr and that I was pulling with a pick-up that T wouldn't notice any savings in gas mileage. I get 16-17 on the road. I pull with a Dodge Diesel.:small3d022:

I pull a 7x14 flat nose Horton that I had a bit of extra work done too. The trailer weighs 3600 empty, I had yhe floor joists set on 12" centers and an overhead cabnet. I thought I wanted a vee nose but the guys in Ga. said with the didderance in weighr and that I was pulling with a pick-up that T wouldn't notice any savings in gas mileage. I get 16-17 on the road. I pull with a Dodge Diesel.:small3d022:

What year of Cummins?

I towed a 6 x 12 to Daytona from Jersey with a Chevy Conv Van , 5.7 ldr motor. Usually get around 13 mpg reguardless of driving conditions. Got between 8.5 to 9.5 on trip. Was always told never use overdrive when towing anything, you,ll burn up the tranny.

Back