free website stats program Cage mileage when pulling a trailer | Harley Davidson Forums

Cage mileage when pulling a trailer

mnultra

I thought for sure there would have been a thread on this subject, but it looks like most everyone rides their bikes instead of trailering them. Good choice unless you live in the North and have to get through the salt and snow to ride between November and March :(

I am wondering, for those of you that do trailer your bike as a last resort, what type of fuel economy are you getting when pulling your trailer?

I just purchased a Haulmark Low Hauler in a 7x12 with a v nose. Bought it from a dealer in Indiana as they were going out of business and were selling them at cost. (Steve07 does have really good pricing on trailers if you are in the market. And he's friendly too :D) So my brother and I took off Friday afternoon to get it. I've got a 2008 Yukon Denali XL with the 6.2L engine and the six speed automatic and got 17mpg going down with the cruise set at an average of about 72-74. I didn't think that was to bad. So I figured with the trailer in tow, I would get about 12 with the trailer having the v nose and it is only about 4 inches taller than the truck. Well, I was dissapointed. Got bout 8.5 mpg on the way home and it felt like I was pulling a piece of plywood down the interstate. I am thinking that the wind is actually rolling off the back of the Yukon and hitting the v nose square on each side. The trailer actually pulled better when I was beside a tractor trailer :eam

Just looking for some experiences or opinions if you think I am way off base.

If nothing else, please pray for us up north to once again see our grass and feel the breeze in our face:)

The Haulmark 7x12 Lowhauler in itself is not a bad trailer,but their V-nose version is based on the 7x16 frame,it is heavy and awkward to haul. On down the road ,you should be able to sell it and recoup,then if you want go for something like the alluminum frame V-nose wuhog from US cargo ,or one of the lighter wieght steel alternatives

Yeah...you're not far from where I am with my 5.4L Ford F150 stepside regular cab. When I hook up and tow the boat, it sucks gas like a wino who found a bottle of champagne! I don't notice much of a performance loss though. As a matter of fact, there were times on a long pull, I've forgotten I had the boat back there. I'm right at about 3000# trailer weight with about 200# tongue weight with a class IV hitch. My son borrowed the truck to pull a small enclosed utility trailer from Jacksonville FL to Shelbyville, KY and when he brought it back he commented on the fuel mileage...or lack thereof.

I've got all the power I need in 5th gear. Runs about 2000-2100 rpm at 67-68. I have also pulled the bass boat and gotten around the 13mpg mark and that weighs about 4400 lbs, but really no wind resistance.

Just suprised and a bit dissapointed.

Your right Steve07, I should be able to get my money back out of it, just didn't want to have to.

I pull 1 7x14 enclosed trailer dual axle with a diesel chevy silvarado 3/4 ton crew cab long box average 15 mpg. That's pulling with 2 harleys in trailer along with tools gas and assorted stuff.

I have a single Kendon "Stand-Up" trailer, with stone guard, that I hauled a 07 Road King to the NC mountains with. I was driving my 3800 cc Pontiac sedan and noticed very little change in gas mileage. I could hardly tell the bike was back there, even on long hills. I haven't hauled my 09 Ultra yet but I don't think hauling it would be much different, though it is a little heaver bike.

I had a 7 X 12 dual axle with a flat front... pulled really well. Gas mileage was BAD and REALLY BAD just depended on how fast you decided to go. The last time I used it for a long trip was two years ago this week for bike week Daytona. We have gone to Daytona twice since then and rode the bikes. Sold the trailer last month and was able to get my money back with a little extra. I customized the inside with checkered tile floor and a lot of diamond plate aluminum, did all the work myself and actually made a little money.

Ouch!

I will be towing a Titan with my '06 Tundra. It's 14 to 16 mpg, no trailer, around town.

:USA

:CONNECTICUT

Al

Attachments

• IMG_0664 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0664 (Medium).JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0660 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0660 (Medium).JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0661 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0661 (Medium).JPG