free website stats program Cable Lube | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cable Lube

looking to see the latest and greatest in cable lubes

In my opinion, ZEP 2000. Smoothest lever pull you will ever have. And it does not wash away. Give the "carrier" a chance to evaporate away and your left with a long lasting lube.

Don't let the spray can fool you. It is NOT a thin solvent type lubricant.

In my opinion, ZEP 2000. Smoothest lever pull you will ever have. And it does not wash away. Give the "carrier" a chance to evaporate away and your left with a long lasting lube.

Don't let the spray can fool you. It is NOT a thin solvent type lubricant.
How do you get it in there?

Enjoy,
Rich P

How do you get it in there?

It's a spray can and it has one of those extension tubes. Getting it in a clutch cable is pretty easy because it's big and there is room. Plus you have the adjustment joint area after you pop the cable off the lever. I haven't used the lube on throttle cables. It may be a bit thick for them (? or maybe not). But for the clutch cable, I found it to really work great. It comes out of the can with good flow because of the solvent carrier. Then after the carrier evaporates, it turns to a creamy clear grease.

But like anything, I am sure some will hate it. But for me it works.

It's a spray can and it has one of those extension tubes. Getting it in a clutch cable is pretty easy because it's big and there is room. Plus you have the adjustment joint area after you pop the cable off the lever. I haven't used the lube on throttle cables. It may be a bit thick for them (? or maybe not). But for the clutch cable, I found it to really work great. It comes out of the can with good flow because of the solvent carrier. Then after the carrier evaporates, it turns to a creamy clear grease.
But like anything, I am sure some will hate it. But for me it works.

Where can I get this Hoop? At an auto parts/hardware store? Online? Just wondering, it sounds like it will do the trick.

I'll have to look for that Zep 2000 at the auto store. Never tried it.

For my throttle cables I use any thin lube, mainly just to keep the adjustment nuts from rusting under the rubber. There isn't a lot of pressure on the throttle cables.

For the clutch cable (which has heavy load pressure) I take it loose from the handle and let stand straight up and then shoot a white lithium grease spray down it (comes in a spray can with a tube). It's kinda like a foam consistency when it comes out. I wrap the end of the cable with a rag to prevent overspray from getting on my bike.

Then I grab the eyelet on the end of the cable and work it back and forth until the grease moves down into the cable. I repeat this a few times and then a shot of thin liquid lube oil to help give it a bit of a vehicle to carry it on down the cable. Has always worked good this way bout 3 times a year depending on how much I ride.

And thankfully (for those old enough to remember) we don't have brake cables anymore.

I'll have to look for that Zep 2000 at the auto store. Never tried it.

About 10 years back when I first was introduced to that lube, the can came with a shaking marble inside and the can was like 24 ounces. The stuff was unreal. If you got it on your hands, you couldn't get it completely off without using some kind of grease cutting soap. But it flowed great out of the can because of the thinning solvent. Once the solvent evaporated, that stuff was going nowhere.
The marble in the can is no longer there and the can size has been reduced to like 17 oz but it seems to be pretty much the same formula as yester-year. Maybe a shade thinner after evaporation but it's still a great lube. I have not seen it in local stores like ACE or Napa, but I am sure a Google search will find you a ton of it. I buy it from a friend who has a Zep account.
I found it also great for those long torsion garage door springs that go BANG in the night.!

Marvel Mystery Oil, it sheds water and here in Florida you will be riding in the rain:s

Back