free website stats program Cable Lube | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Cable Lube

Dri-Slide works great on the earlier cables, I also use a couple drops on kick stand springs and hand levers as well, on braided cables the black bleeds through the inner housing and can stain the cables and on the newer platic coated clutch cables I found it makes them want to chatter when you pull in the clutch. It's great stuff and I always have a bottle around, I'm just careful what I use it on.

Thanks Chopper and Porter.
Thinking my cables would be in the older category. (Replaced in 2006)
I'll have to check the clutch cable for plastic coating.
Definately will pick up some Dri-Slide.

My MotoX buddy says he uses an of the shelf tool that clamps on the cable without removing it, allowing direct injection of lube. I just wondered if anyone has used this on a road bike. It sounds like a good idea.

My MotoX buddy says he uses an of the shelf tool that clamps on the cable without removing it, allowing direct injection of lube. I just wondered if anyone has used this on a road bike. It sounds like a good idea.

I thought about getting one of those, but decided against it:
Clutch cable: I can open the "expander bolt" on the clutch cable housing to see the cable when the cable is detached from the lever. I wrap a paper towel around it cable. Then I add a few drops of dri-slide where the cable originates at the lever. The dri-slide solvent/lube really wicks down the cable fibers, so it doesn't take much and the paper towel stops the excess. Then I add a little Specto (tranny fluid of choice) to the opening on the lower half of the clutch cable with a little needle tipped syringe.

Throttle cables (2007): Dri Slide right at the origination point in the grips. Again, the solvent really wicks down the cable, through the housing in seconds, with a little gravity.

Then I go back and do my clutch adjustment, procedure. With my procedure, the gizmo would save me any time. I do this every 3-5K (all fluids changed)

Back