free website stats program Cable Lube | Harley Davidson Forums

Cable Lube

My new Magnum Shielding cables just came in. The instructions say to use silicone lube to prevent discoloration. So, whats a good non-stainless steel staining lube? (Ya, had to get my sarcasm in there)

Anyone ever have a problem with normal cable lube staining their stainless steel?

My new Magnum Shielding cables just came in. The instructions say to use silicone lube to prevent discoloration. So, whats a good non-stainless steel staining lube? (Ya, had to get my sarcasm in there)

Anyone ever have a problem with normal cable lube staining their stainless steel?

Did you want a non-stainless steel staining lube, or a non-staining stainless steel lube? If you use the wrong one, it voids your factory and extended warranty. And, they are both in nearly identical packages right next to each other on the shelf at the parts store, so you realy have to be careful with this. :bigsmiley30:

They are fun-ominal! I've seen a ton of braided stainless and these are the best by far! And I learned about them from a tip on here from a guy from Pocatelo that seems to know about custom bikes!!!

The cables had a tag. "Do not lube..." they are pre-lubed at the factory I guess. But it did call for silicone lube or something containing a k-something or other. The tag is out in the shop and I dont have my boots on...

By the way... they are stainless braided, but I think what gets discolored is the clear vinyl coating. I'll just send magnum an email tomorrow and see what they suggest

Last edited by a moderator:
The website says that the "sterling chromite" braid is covered in a clear teflon sheath. I am guessing that "sterling chromite" is a trade name they have patented. Teflon is pretty inert but soft.

If these cables are similar to my bicycle cables, you shouldn't have to lube them. Perhaps the design of these MC cables are different, but on my bicycle cables, they have a liner on the inside as well. The whole point of the liner was to remove the need for lubricant. But, if you added a lube there was the chance that it could get between the liner and the cable housing and cause the liner to slide within the housing, causing shifting problems. With a braided housing the lube would leak through the braid and you would see it, trapped by the teflon, outer covering. You might need a dab of a silicone grease at the begining and end of the cable where the inner liner is likely crimped in place. There you would have metal to metal contact, but you would want to use something that would not "flow" down the cable, and something "clear" in color just in case.

On my bicycle, the cable did eventually saw through the inner liner. It shifted "butter smooth" up until that point though. Interesting design though. They look REALLY nice....

Last edited:
The website says that the "sterling chromite" braid is covered in a clear teflon sheath. I am guessing that "sterling chromite" is a trade name they have patented. Teflon is pretty inert but soft.

If these cables are similar to my bicycle cables, you shouldn't have to lube them. Perhaps the design of these MC cables are different, but on my bicycle cables, they have a liner on the inside as well. The whole point of the liner was to remove the need for lubricant. But, if you added a lube there was the chance that it could get between the liner and the cable housing and cause the liner to slide within the housing, causing shifting problems. With a braided housing the lube would leak through the braid and you would see it, trapped by the teflon, outer covering. You might need a dab of a silicone grease at the begining and end of the cable where the inner liner is likely crimped in place. There you would have metal to metal contact, but you would want to use something that would not "flow" down the cable, and something "clear" in color just in case.

On my bicycle, the cable did eventually saw through the inner liner. It shifted "butter smooth" up until that point though. Interesting design though. They look REALLY nice....

Porter, I like your answer here. It seams to make good sense to me. But mabe you could lube them with Pledge, it works for everything else.

:newsmile100:

Back