free website stats program Buying used (late 90's/Early 2000) touring | Harley Davidson Forums

Buying used (late 90's/Early 2000) touring

Dan Gibbs

Hi,
New to the forum. Hopefully i have started the thread correctly!
I am looking to buy a used mid 90's or early 2000 touring bike. I am in Ontario and am looking at 10K or less.
What should look/listen for when testing the Bikes? what should i be asking?
Thanks

Imo maintenance records is huge, if the dealer or the previous owner has good records that tells me it was most likely taken care of.
Others will chime in with what to look for but in my opinion records are a big +.
Don't forget to introduce yourself in the new member intro.

Jeff has you covered here, those maint. records will tell you a lot about the bike. Depending on what year you will want to check to make sure all the recall and service bul. have been done.

Early 90s is EVO motor; any thing after '99 is Twin Cam, so that's the first decision you should make. There are strong feelings about both motors depending on who you talk to. If Twin Cam, don't bother with anything later than 2002 and an Electraglide Standard/FLHT would be a good choice; near bullet proof bottom end and Delphi EFI replaced the troublesome Magneti Marelli EFI system, so '99-'01 choices should be carbureted.

Of course mileage and service records are factors as well as whether or not any modifications have been made. Always ask if the cam chain tensioners have been replaced. If a bike has been well maintained, 50K miles, while it sounds like a lot isn't a show stopper but the asking price should reflect the potential for wear and tear and possible post purchase replacement cost of some parts such as tires, shocks, fluid/filter change, brake pads/rotors, etc.

Good hunting.:)

FLHT was a good value for your money, if you can find a 97-98 with low miles and service records

I have an early 99 and it was the first year for the twin cam. Had I known, I wouldn't have bought it. Just had a major engine rebuild after only 25K miles.

Back