free website stats program Buying chaps what to look for | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Buying chaps what to look for

I started out with HD chaps but found their full leather jeans much better. About three years ago I bought a pair one size larger (these were lined) than my pants size. These were marked down on sale.
Then I had a heavy zipper about 12-15inches long sewn into the outside of the each leg. Hence I can slip these jeans off and on without taking my boots off (user friendly). IMHO much better than wearing chaps. To me chaps are all about protection from injury or cold. Full leather jeans/pants do a much better job of this. :) I gave my chaps to my son-in-law as I never intend to go back to wearing them.

i just bought me some, i'm a 31" thigh size so i went with a 5xl, fits very nice, but i had to go get 2 more holes added to the belt with the chrome gromets . always buy a bigger size than what you think.

Mass Made stuff Fox creek does a good job. Langitz out in Oregon does a great job but makes pants and not chaps. You can get chaps or pants at fox creek for three bills. Langitz will run you a bit more. there is a reason Langitz is more expensive.

Recommend looking at Fox Creek Leather...was there this week buying a jacket and did look at their chaps...like their jackets, leather is heavy weight and construction is first rate. Very nice people as well and American made.

i have the women's version of the deluxe chaps. i love them and they are lined. you do need to remember also that leather does stretch and do want the more flexible leather so easier to move but not so soft that they won't protect if you go down. they are also making leathers with refloctive for high visibility now which is always a good thing. i am planning on getting new jacket and chaps that have the high visibility to it. other wise i love the deluxe chaps and they also have a double zipper which is good for adding more layers in the winter. if you are walking on them then cut them off but leave them long enough to bunch up at your ankles and top of your feet like your blue jeans do.

I agree with all who recommend Fox Creek. I've purchased both chaps and gloves for my wife and I. Quality and customer service are superb. Not sure about pockets on the chaps but give them a call and they may be able to accommodate you.

Check out Iron Pony they have quite a selection of reasonably priced chaps. Mine go over the jeans, the zippers and snaps are on the outside of the leg so nothing gets close to the paint.

And they make a HUGE difference blocking the wind on cooler rides.

Another endorsement for Fox Creek, got the wife a pair for Christmas this year and they are great.

I picked up a pair of chaps at a yard sale for $10.00. I was going to get a pair eventually but I ran into this deal. Thick, unrestrictive leather, heavy duty zipper, and naturally a good fit is the way to go.This particular brand was Walter Dyer in Framingham, Ma. I have a jacket by them and the leather quality is top notch. So when I saw these pants for $10.00 I found a bargain, or soI thought.
The size on the chaps said Large and they were made in the U.S.A. When I buy sweat pants I usually by a medium and they fit just fine. I figured Large would be a nice overfit. Wrong! They were to tight in the thigh! I couldn't believe it! I am not a big guy. I am 220 lbs. 6'3". I thought maybe they were womans chaps. Anyway, I went to a leathersmith and he charged me $30.00 to make the thigh larger. So for $40 bucks I now have a pretty good pair of chaps.
The moral of my story? Make sure that the size is correct before you buy them and avoid cheap ones.. Especially if it's a mail order. Best of Luck!
HC

Chaps are compact and easy to use which are key when "layering up" for the cold. I would add that you check the zippers and make sure they are YKK metal heavy duty ones or similar, make sure they fit without bunching too much in the knees and finally have snaps and trimmed properly at the bottoms to not be too long and minimize flapping. Foxcreek and others make quality stirrup straps to secure them so the wind does not make them "ride up"...and can be used even if your run jeans or riding pants only.

Back