free website stats program Buying chaps what to look for | Harley Davidson Forums

Buying chaps what to look for

AZDave

Hi guys, well the wife gave me $300 for chaps after she looked at nice ones at HD for $278.00. I have seen them for $20.00 but would never buy those. I know I want to buy Made in America, but do I need pockets? Do I look for Velcro or a belt fastener? Do I need to have a cover over the side zipper that snaps? Do I need bendable knees? The HD deluxe chaps do look nice. What type of liner? Would you get a zip in liner? If you where buying them again, what would you look for, or want, that you do not have now?:)

Whatever you buy, get a good quality leather, they will last you many years. A lot of picking out styles and types is personal preference, You want them thick enough to protect you, but now so thick that they are restrictive to move in. Make sure they fit you comfortably and that you can bend in them, and that they are trimmed so that you aren't tripping and stepping on them when walking, but that they still cover your boot when sitting on your bike with your leg on the pegs or boards. I like zippers with snaps over them at the knee and ankle and mid calf. That helps keep them zipped in the wind. I like a belt type of fastener in the front. with adjustments in the back also.
Also are you just going to wear them over jeans or more clothing, like winter riding? Definitaley go with big pockets if you can, It can be hard to get to your wallet and keys that would normaly be in your pant's pockets when you have chaps on. That way you can put those items in your chaps and it makes life easier. Lined or unlined is also an option. I have a pair that are lined and I like them. Didn't mean to rammble but a reputable dealer should help you in fit and function. Sometimes people need to get them custom made to fit at the top of the leg and bottom and waist. Or have the zippers and fasteners moved to make them fit well. Good Luck in your shopping.

I don't think the HD leathers are made in USA( junk IMO) and don't buy them to small, we all seem to get BIGGER as we (me) get older, if your going to get any older:newsmile011:LOL maybe just wiser:s

Thanks for the information guys, I would rather ask then just buy chaps and one month later say I wish these had?

Go to a swap meet there will be hundreds to look at... all made by the same Pakistani dude that makes them for Harley for fraction of that price..No more than you wear them why spend big $$$ on them...

Just as an aside......
Even though they may be assembled in a foreign country, the majorty of the leather is from USA raised stock.
And you might want to look at leather over pants as well as chaps....in the cold, or the rain, with chaps your butt is still uncovered.
Have fun with the search.

I have the Fox Creek chaps. Made in U.S.A., great quality but no pockets. If I had it to do over I would want at least one pocket. The over pants would be a better bet if you ride a lot in the wet and cold

I am in Phoenix not much wet and cold here but in the mornings it can be 40 as we are leaving but 70 by 1:00. I see alot of chaps out here now on riders even at 70 you know our blood is thiner :D

My wife gave me custom made chaps for Christmas. Very nice supple leather with removable lining for cold weather. I have to go in and have them tailored with my riding boots on for a perfect fit. Look around and I think you will be able to find custom tailored chaps to fit your budget, $300 should go a long way.

Back