free website stats program Buying an Extended Warranty Prior to Factory Expiring | Harley Davidson Forums

Buying an Extended Warranty Prior to Factory Expiring

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
I've still got 10 months remaining on my factory warranty but I'm already starting to think about purchasing an extended warranty sometime next winter, mainly because of this:

Consideration when looking at bikes with 96ci or greater - Archive - Harley Davidson Community

I just don't like the idea of a known issue popping up and trashing my whole engine a month after the factory warranty expires.

Anyone gone through this process? I've read that they're negotiable just like buying a bike. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure what I can expect to pay per year for a 2008 touring model? Are there "third party" companies that offer them or should I stick with HD?

Just went through this while purchasing the wifes 08 FLHX.The packages they offer are the exact same as what you where offered new but they add $150.A 3 year, 4 year, 5 year, 7 year.The 7 year makes the most sense as no matter what you buy 2 years are removed as they view this retroactively.I bought the 4 year for around $700.00 as thats what my loan was.The 7 year was around $1200 but again you will only actualy be getting a 5 year extension.
Id stick with HD on this one as it covers everything including the roadside assistance.If you kept all your origional paperwork the quotes should be in there, just add $150 and thats what it is.

I bought the 7yrs. You can also renew that one before it expires to get a total of 12yrs. You can purchase the extended anytime up to 5days before the factory warranty expires.For the $200.00 extra I also got the tire and wheel coverage,with the potholes around here I figured it would be a good investment

check out chicago harley davidson you can negotiate there price and get tire and wheel coverage

Most dealers will negotiate the price of the extended warranty if they see you aren't interested at the first price they give you.

Most dealers will negotiate the price of the extended warranty if they see you aren't interested at the first price they give you.

interesting to know i might buy extended when my factory is up course probley wouldnt help me at all

I figured that since I already have 24000 on mine it is a good investment playing the law of averages

Have to disagree here.When buying a new bike they may negotiate or play with the numbers in reguards to extended warrenty because they have wiggle room on there mark up.When buying an extended warranty after the sale it is directly through Moco, not the dealer. No wiggle room there.

One way or the other, the price was lowered after I told them if they did better on price I would consider it and they did by a couple of hundred. Bottom line is what counts as long as it is the same plan offered as before.

Back