free website stats program Buying a sportster: low vs. custom | Harley Davidson Forums

Buying a sportster: low vs. custom

adamk

I'm looking to buy a Sportster 1200 for commuting and city riding around the San Francisco area.

I guess the only difference is the larger, narrower wheel on the custom.

Which of these bikes would you guys recommend?

-A

I rode my buddies nightster the other day, and I don't know how you guys ride those things all the time. It's a fast little bike but the suspension was like being on a BMX. :newsmile042:

I rode my buddies nightster the other day, and I don't know how you guys ride those things all the time. It's a fast little bike but the suspension was like being on a BMX. :newsmile042:

See my point exactly!! When I was a kid I used to try and rig up my dads chainsaw to my schwinn. I wanted a fast little bike that rode like a bmx!!!!

It's a good thing for my legs and my mom's nerves that I could never rig that combo up!!:bigsmiley31:

The Sportster is a fast and nimble not so littie bike, I wanted one and after due consideration, I chose the Custom for several reasons:
If you are over 5'11" the forward controls are a + (it's quite expensive to do it as a mod) they make your ride more comfortable.
All the chrome is a matter of taste (I love it) but I'm sure it's easyer to clean than the alternative finishes.
The disc rear wheel looks great and is easier to maintain than the spokes.
The suspension is fine if you ride solo and can be improved if you often have a passenger.
The Custom is the top of the Sportsters range but well worth the price difference.

If you are over 5'11" the forward controls are a + (it's quite expensive to do it as a mod) they make your ride more comfortable.

I'm more like 5'7" or 5'8". Will I be too stretched out with the forward controls?

I'm 5'11" 250'ish and wish the forwards were 2-3" farther.

+1 on needing upgraded shocks riding 2-up. Fine for just me, but not enough for me & the mrs. Yup, quick bike and a lot of fun. I've had mine to 105-110 mph and there was plenty left on the throttle. It "outran" my testosterone & my testicles. :s

I've got a "bum" right knee and when I sat on the 1200L, I knew I was too cramped. Tracy

Gotta love the fast "little" bike...a-a-Harley? :D

Test ride, test ride, test ride.

I am 5' 10" 200 lbs test rode the Custom (I've owned a 1994 Low for years) and I didn't like the forward controls.

Had a Heritage years ago; I didn't like the forward stance.

You won't really know until you go to the dealer and test ride them both.:newsmile082:

Back