free website stats program Buying a new/used bike | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Buying a new/used bike

It's a buyers market so take advantage of your position. Don't anger the seller but leave your number and walk if you know you can do better. Get what you want! I know for most of us this is a major decision that lasts a very long time.

A guy I work with had a 06 S/G 5600 miles never been down , he was asking $16000, he ended up selling it for $13500. Just to give you an idea.

I would ask what oils/brands (correct filter) were used and how often they were changed. Also if the bike has the factory tune/map and if a fueler was added. If SERT was used, ask for the VCI.
I have no idea what tune/map, Fueler, or SERT is? Could some one explain!

Actually I meant to say SEST (Screaming Eagle Super Tuner) not SERT (Screaming Eagle Race tuner)

Since your bike will most likely be Fuel injection, you must alter or change the "look up" tables loaded to the ECM (bike computer) to richen up the air fuel ratio. One way to do that is by using a SEST. If the previous owner did a Stage 1 or dyno tune, he probably paid $4-5 hundred for that service. The SEST he purchased is married to the ECM of the bike and belongs to the owner.
If all this took place, the owner will have a VCI (vehicle communication interface) in a drawer in his garage. Ask for it. It's worth money.:p

Almost forgot.....A fueler is a Quick & Dirty way to do somewhat of the same thing. It is a Piggy back "Black Box" you add to the existing system to add extra fuel to the existing maps or look up tables.
If it has a piggy back fueler, (Power commander etc) the owner most likely does not have a VCI laying around. :p

Back