free website stats program Busted Nuts! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Busted Nuts!

Do what I told you earlier. Get some good quality nuts, 1/2'' across the flats. Drill the threads out 21/64'' and run a tap 3/8'' X 24 thread. The nuts only hold the adjusters from backing out. There is no load or stress on them except from tightening it against the adjuster. I have 5000 miles on the one that I did.

Do what I told you earlier. Get some good quality nuts, 1/2'' across the flats. Drill the threads out 21/64'' and run a tap 3/8'' X 24 thread. The nuts only hold the adjusters from backing out. There is no load or stress on them except from tightening it against the adjuster. I have 5000 miles on the one that I did.

I feel ya and would do it in a heartbeat but I haven't found any nuts that measure 1/2" across the flats. I have the tools but I haven't found the nuts. I have found some that measure 9/16" across the flats with 34tpi but don't like that setup. Where did you find your nuts?

They are just common 5/16'' nuts. Drill the centers out to 21/64'' and tap with 38'' X 24 tap

They are just common 5/16'' nuts. Drill the centers out to 21/64'' and tap with 38'' X 24 tap

I suggest double checking the end on your pushrods to confirm they are 24 tpi. Based on the information you provided above, I think they may be 32 tpi.

TQ

I suggest double checking the end on your pushrods to confirm they are 24 tpi. Based on the information you provided above, I think they may be 32 tpi.TQ

No need, H-D Tapered Quick Installs are 24tpi. Like I said, I understand the math but I like to turn to bottom and divide the turns by 2 to find the center point and back off one turn. That way, I don't have to think about the tpi; turn to bottom, divide by 2 and back off a half or one full turn; works for me.

Hi guys,

You scared me with this nuts story as i just ordered some of those SE pushords.

Did you find a solution ?

I had a guy in a machine shop make me some stainless steel nuts. I haven't installed them yet so cann't report. Cost me $20 for the 4 nuts.
kemo

I have literally installed hundreds of the S/E Quick installs and never had one problem. But there are tons of good manufactures out there making sets, Rivera taperlite I also like on evo's, check them all out and let us know which ones work for you.

Hi guys,

You scared me with this nuts story as i just ordered some of those SE pushords.

Did you find a solution ?

Yeah, when I read the Title "Busted Nuts!" It occured to me too "--be afraid...man!" Just the visuals and thoughts of screaming eagles sold me too! :laugh

Back