free website stats program Burnt up Generator | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Burnt up Generator

Strange about the click, I've never heard of an electronic reg. clicking when powered.
As far as the reg. test goes you have to have the charging wire connected to the battery, remove the A & F wires off the generator, then use a test light or VOM to look for battery on both those leads. If any volts/light present then the reg. is bad. This test may not work on your reg. because it is for Rotor/Stator type charging systems which put out AC.
A simple test for the gen. is to disconnect your reg. from it. Place a ground jumper wire to the F terminal. Hook a VOM, set to 20+ V dc, to the A terminal. Start the bike, raise RPM's, you should see around 12-30 V dc. Don't run too long. If the gen. test OK, hook the reg. back up. Start the bike again. Reading across the Battery you should have 13-15 V dc. at about 2K rpm. If not then your reg. is bad.
In looking at a wiring diagram it shows Org. to battery,Tan to A term.,Green to F term..
Is that the way you hooked it up?
tourbox

I have the regulator hooked up according to the wiring diagram in the HD book I have for the bike and as well as the diagram I got with the regulator. I can't check the generator at this point due to the fact that it is burnt to a crisp. But it was charging at 14.2 volts after i had gotten it back from getting it rebuilt. I had checked the regulator for power leak to the tan wire and had no voltage through it.

If you know the manufacturer of the reg. you might call them about the clicking and how to test it. The clicking just isn't normal for my way of thinking. The people that rebuilt your gen. may have a warranty for it,depending on time limit.
I would recheck your wiring for sure. Keep us posted.
tourbox

If you know the manufacturer of the reg. you might call them about the clicking and how to test it. The clicking just isn't normal for my way of thinking. The people that rebuilt your gen. may have a warranty for it,depending on time limit.
I would recheck your wiring for sure. Keep us posted.
tourbox

Interesting, I can see a mechanical regulator clicking as there are points in them, a solid state one is a whole different animal

So come to find out after doing a little digging. What felt to be the regulator clicking was the ignition breaker resonating through the bike. The kill switch on the handle bars has a 3rd black wire (hot) was grounded to the triple tree setting the breaker. Went through all of the wiring on the bike, not just the charging system, after finding this. A couple of loose connectors to follow, a new generator and all is well. With the charging system anyway.

Outstanding. Glad you got it running/charging again.
tourbox

Oh I forgot to say "Thank You" for keeping us posted.
tourbox

Last edited by a moderator:
Back