free website stats program Burnt up Generator | Harley Davidson Forums

Burnt up Generator

cadyjam

I have a '73 xlch kick start that has been a pain since day 1 with charging issues. I had replaced the original mechanical regulator last year after it had got hot stuck and started on fire. This spring I had installed a new solid state regulator, went through all of the bikes wiring and replaced the generator and oil lights that were not working. The battery is about a year old and takes and holds charge. Anyway found the generator was not charging so it was sent in and was found to have a burnt winding in the armature. The armature was replaced during the generator rebuild. Installed the generator and polarized it. Was charging at 14.2v took it out on a test drive at about mile 5 generator light came on, i pulled over and found generator smoking. Trailered bike back and checked all wiring, found nothing burnt, battery not boiled over but generator burnt to a crisp. What to do?

What type of regulator did you place? An external one or the type that bolts on the end of the generator? When you flashed it did you flash to the A or F terminal?
I've used both types of regulators with good results from both but prefer the end of the generator type. I always pre-flash it prior to regulator hook up.
I hadn't heard of the alternator conversion that Fastlinnie spoke of but sounds like a good deal.
tourbox

What type of regulator did you place? An external one or the type that bolts on the end of the generator? When you flashed it did you flash to the A or F terminal?
I've used both types of regulators with good results from both but prefer the end of the generator type. I always pre-flash it prior to regulator hook up.
I hadn't heard of the alternator conversion that Fastlinnie spoke of but sounds like a good deal.
tourbox

This is important to know, solid state regulators do not have to be flashed, tho the generator still does, that can be done BEFORE installing it back on the bike, and that will save shorting out the fields and the solid state regulator( They can full field and cause the generator to burn up )

I had installed a frame mount regulator with insulators. I had polarized the generator on the bike with a jumper from the battery (+) to the A terminal. I had noticed the regulator clicking with the key on and engine off as well. Now is there any good way to check the regulator.

Well you polarized to the correct terminal "A". The regulator shouldn't have been clicking with the key on/bike off. Perhaps 1 click when one of the relays operate but I don't so or remember from the old days. Can't remember how to check it either, I will look in one of my old manuals.
Being as you said rubber mounted I assume it was a Mechanical type regulator. Was it a 2 or 3 relay type?
tourbox

Well you polarized to the correct terminal "A". The regulator shouldn't have been clicking with the key on/bike off. Perhaps 1 click when one of the relays operate but I don't so or remember from the old days. Can't remember how to check it either, I will look in one of my old manuals.
Being as you said rubber mounted I assume it was a Mechanical type regulator. Was it a 2 or 3 relay type?
tourbox

It is a solid state regulator on it now. I had rubber mounted the regulator to help with vibration, but I had grounded the regulator with a wire to the frame to make sure it has a good ground. As far as it clicking it will only click once when the key is turned on and the ignition switch is turned on. I had hooked it up last night without the generator on the bike and checked for voltage leak to the orange wire"A" and I have no voltage there, the green wire "F" seems to be grounding correctly. I haven't come across any good testing procedures for the solid state regulators yet.

Thanks all for the help so far.

Back