free website stats program Burnt electrical smell when changed primary oil | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Burnt electrical smell when changed primary oil

Both parts will run you about $200-$250. Make sure you get the right parts for your bike. I always check ebay and get the part #s from the seller.

Years of working with electrical/electronics systems tells me "that smell" is a bad thing, and when the smoke comes out it is difficult and expensive to put the smoke back in...check it out before it leaves you an the side of the road somwhere in the boonies..

As others have stated, likely stator copper windings overheating, that burnt smell is the insulating varnish smoking, mixing in with the cooler temperature oil. The root cause is likely high current demand because the battery was deep discharged or the voltage regulator driver overheated...some of the windings are likely already shorted, so the coil inductance is far less as well as the series resistance, drawing more overall current cooking the remaining windings.

Also as most have stated, it will not get better and catastrophic failure of the charging system will deep discharge the battery with in turn makes matters worse...see post #39

http://www.hdtimeline.com/dyna_models/12188-06_dyna_rotor_stator.html

How much does it usually cost for these replacements?

Some of the synthetic oils have a weird odor. Could it be something that simple?

Not being able to smell through my keyboard, I'll offer this. Old primary oil does have an odd smell to it. The oil in the primary is used to cool the clutch plates. As the clutch plates wear the oil picks up the media that has worn off. That is why your primary oil is kind of grayish in color when you change it. This is normal. The smell to me is more like brakes not electrical, but the two are somewhat similar.

I'd hate to spend a couple hundred dollars changing out parts that are not bad if the smell is just the natual wear of the clutch plates.

But Glider has a nack for being right.

Back