free website stats program Burnt electrical smell when changed primary oil | Harley Davidson Forums

Burnt electrical smell when changed primary oil

orange68

Last week, a friend and I changed the oil on a 2000 road king and noticed a smell from the primary oil. Not sure what type oil was previously used but the used oil and a burnt electrical smell. Everything electricalal on the bike works good, but have never smelled this before. We replaced this old oil with HD primary +. Any ideas what that smell could have been?????

Could be just the oil doing it's job cooling the clutch & rest of the primary.Orange, you didn't say how long between changes.

Thanks for the quich reply: Is this something that needs to be changed out or just wait until it goes out? Everything electrically is working fine right now.

Changes have been every 3,000 miles by dealer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the quich reply: Is this something that needs to be changed out or just wait until it goes out? Everything electrically is working fine right now.

Once you get the burnt smell, it isn't long before the problem itself surfaces in the stator. I would go ahead and change the stator and regulator too. Usually by changing one part, the other follows soon after and sometimes causes a problem with the new part you just installed.

Testing The Charging System - Harley Davidson Community

How much does it usually cost for these replacements?

Some of the synthetic oils have a weird odor. Could it be something that simple?

Last edited by a moderator:
Every 3k sounds good for engine oil,primary is every 10k on my 10 RG.Clutch slippage (every day use,starting out from a stop etc..) could account for a burnt smell.But,do a charging system check like posted here.

Back