free website stats program Burly Slammer kit | Harley Davidson Forums

Burly Slammer kit

Lorgair

I'm thinking of getting a new '12 RK or SG, but will need to get a little lower for my 29 inseam. I don't want to sacrifice lean angle or ride quality. I figure with a reach seat, maybe a sundowner or danny gray seat, I'd be about right.

I sat on a SG at the dealer that had a FBI Drop seat kit installed to drop the seat 3 inches with stock shocks The sitting angle is a little to aggressive and the price is ridiculous.

But it got me thinking that a little DIY could yeild what I want much cheaper. Just need to visit Harley junkyard for a sacrificial rear frame section.

Anyone try this already or have any advice on why it would be so complicated that a $2300 price is justified?

I'm thinking of getting a new '12 RK or SG, but will need to get a little lower for my 29 inseam. I don't want to sacrifice lean angle or ride quality. I figure with a reach seat, maybe a sundowner or danny gray seat, I'd be about right.

I sat on a SG at the dealer that had a FBI Drop seat kit installed to drop the seat 3 inches with stock shocks The sitting angle is a little to aggressive and the price is ridiculous.

But it got me thinking that a little DIY could yeild what I want much cheaper. Just need to visit Harley junkyard for a sacrificial rear frame section.

Anyone try this already or have any advice on why it would be so complicated that a $2300 price is justified?

Have you tried thicker soled boots? I lowered 2 bikes 1992 fLHS and a 1997 FLHT, I did not like the ride and ruined the rear shocks, it always bottomed out riding 2 up like that, I am 5ft 7 with a 30 inch inseam and had no trouble with a 1995 Ultra in Sturgis this year, I have real thick soled boots:s

What about a seat that gets you closer to the ground and replacing the soles and heels on your boots. Like 3" heel and 2" sole or some type of heavy soled logging boot????

I ain't talking about changing shocks. I'm talking modification to the rear frame section only, which since '09 is a separate bolt-on assembly to the main frame. Checkout the Fat Baggers drop seat kit to see what I mean.

$1800 is a lot of cash for a lower seat height considering a seat may do it. I would be a bit concerned about the warranty with a replacement frame like that.

Fat Baggers, Inc.

yhst-81226325006369_2183_268640540

I ain't talking about changing shocks. I'm talking modification to the rear frame section only, which since '09 is a separate bolt-on assembly to the main frame. Checkout the Fat Baggers drop seat kit to see what I mean.

I just looked at this kit, If you are changing the rails and all the rest would this not change the angle of the shocks? If it does the ride will suffer, the shock angle will change JMO your ride you decide:s

Since the dealer had one installed on a 2012 SG, I would assume HD approved it and would not void warranty. But for the less agresive DIY version I'm proposing your point is well taken.

Since the dealer had one installed on a 2012 SG, I would assume HD approved it and would not void warranty. But for the less agresive DIY version I'm proposing your point is well taken.

How does that bike feel, can you ride it and does the dealer stand behind the warranty?

Jack, I think only the seat pan is lowered not the shock mounting angle. That also would be inline with dealer claim that the suspension is not affected.

As I said though this kit is way more aggressive than need be and costly.

Do I really need it to get flat footed? Probably not, but I dang sure ain't riding with stiletto heels.

I just looked at this kit, If you are changing the rails and all the rest would this not change the angle of the shocks? If it does the ride will suffer, the shock angle will change JMO your ride you decide:s

Jack, I think only the seat pan is lowered not the shock mounting angle. That also would be inline with dealer claim that the suspension is not affected.

As I said though this kit is way more aggressive than need be and costly.

Do I really need it to get flat footed? Probably not, but I dang sure ain't riding with stiletto heels.

Flat footed would give you better balance, check out some good boots and by all means if u can sit on one of these bikes if u can:s

Back