free website stats program Burly Easyboy Lite Clutch | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Burly Easyboy Lite Clutch

If you have checked what Dolt pointed out and you're sure that there is clearance for complete movement, maybe the problem is at the clutch lever on the handle bars. Do you have stock type levers or are they reduced reach levers?

The clutch drags enough that I can't shift into neutral. If I remove the hand grip and pull the lever all the way to the bare handlebar, then it lets loose just enough to go into neutral. I don't know what else to do but pull the clutch apart and inspect, although it worked well prior to installing the Burly.

The problem is not the clutch. As you point out, it worked fine before installing the Burly kit. Have you followed the adjustment procedure per the service manual? The problem is in the adjustment, lack of clearance in the release cover or, as HDDon points out, maybe the lever itself.:newsmile091:

The problem is not the clutch. As you point out, it worked fine before installing the Burly kit. Have you followed the adjustment procedure per the service manual? The problem is in the adjustment, lack of clearance in the release cover or, as HDDon points out, maybe the lever itself.:newsmile091:

I have removed metal from the cover for clearance, followed the adjustment procedure carefully (many times now), and the lever is stock.

I have removed metal from the cover for clearance, followed the adjustment procedure carefully (many times now), and the lever is stock.

Take a look at the Burly instructions that dbmg posted in #15 and look at the picture near the end of the instructions; the 5th from the last IIRC. You will see the "rib" at the top of the cover that the lever can make contact with when released. The top of that rib needs to be removed to let the lever fully release. Compare the OEM lever with the Burly lever and you should see the difference. The only reason the Burly lever lightens the pull is because it is longer and extends the lever point reducing lever effort. You are not done yet.:shock

Take a look at the Burly instructions that dbmg posted in #15 and look at the picture near the end of the instructions; the 5th from the last IIRC. You will see the "rib" at the top of the cover that the lever can make contact with when released. The top of that rib needs to be removed to let the lever fully release. Compare the OEM lever with the Burly lever and you should see the difference. The only reason the Burly lever lightens the pull is because it is longer and extends the lever point reducing lever effort. You are not done yet.:shock

If I understand you correctly, yes, I did remove metal from that rib. Before doing that, I could tell that the 3 balls were not dropping to the deepest part of their notches. Now they are, but it didn't make enough difference to get rid of the drag.

If I understand you correctly, yes, I did remove metal from that rib. Before doing that, I could tell that the 3 balls were not dropping to the deepest part of their notches. Now they are, but it didn't make enough difference to get rid of the drag.

Maybe you didn't remove enough metal from the rib?:s If the ball were not dropping into the deepest part of the notch, the means the lever will move more if there is adequate room. If you are confident that the clutch is adjusted properly, there is sufficient clearance in the cover for sufficient lever movement to fully release the clutch and the lever on the bar is not the issue, I am out of ideas. :(

Back