free website stats program bump in the night | Harley Davidson Forums

bump in the night

hogtyd

Good morning all,
i have a question i haven't seen on the forum. I have a 2007 fxdl.
When ridding over a rough road or a sharp bump i get a feeling in the bike like something is loose. It feels like something is about to fall off the bike! I have checked every bolt and shook every thing on the bike and have found nothing. Any suggetions?

Two things come to mind, first is the steering head bearings that need adjustment and the second is the kickstand bouncing or missing the rubber stop.

A quick check for steering head bearings is to straddle the bike, put a left finger where the neck and top tree meet, grab the front brake and rock the bike hard against the brake. You should not feel any movement.

Good morning all,
i have a question i haven't seen on the forum. I have a 2007 fxdl.
When ridding over a rough road or a sharp bump i get a feeling in the bike like something is loose. It feels like something is about to fall off the bike! I have checked every bolt and shook every thing on the bike and have found nothing. Any suggetions?

I think Glider has you covered. Remember that if you get a sudden enough bump (hole or speed bump), you are creating a lot of inertia, and having the jiffy stand "bounce" is very common. In fact, there is one depression in the road around here that at a certain speed, my tranny will even shift if I hit is just right.

Not to worry.

TQ

Lots of problems with the 06 and 07s and steering head bearing adjustment and torque. So much so, there is a service bulletin out related to it. The bulletin recommends a new washer and new torque specs. Let me know if you would like a copy.

Another thing to check, the bolts at the front and at the rear of the fuel tank.

Well, went to the garage to check the things you guy's suggested. Did the test on the steering head bearings. No movement. Checked the jiffy stand rubber stop. It was there and in the proper location. Grabed the tank and pulled up and down at the front. Guess what? It made exactly the same noise i have been hearing. So jmpancoast you are the man!! Big thanks to all of you gentlemen for your suggetions. Especially jmpancoast. I will take her out for a ride sat. For the final test but i am pretty sure that was it. I have a 3 year warrenty on this hog so i may run her by the dealership and have them check the steering head bearing torque just to be safe. Thanks again guy's.

If you are open to a suggestion......

Before you take your bike to the dealer, check to see if the work from Service Bulletin M1215 has been performed.

You can do this by unscrewing the chrome cover at the top of the steering stem. Mine was tight, so I used a rubber jar-lid gripper. Once you remove this, you will see the large steering stem nut. Under this nut is a large washer. The old type washer is made from thin metal. The edge of this washer is bent up against one of the flat sides of the nut to keep it from turning.

The washer I described above is being replaced with a thick hardened washer. If you have a washer in which the edge is not bent, you have the new style washer and the service bulletin's work has been performed.

Here is a copy of the service bulletin:

SBM1215.jpg

Came back to add to my previous post, but the edit option was gone.

Be forewarned. A lot of people, including service techs, will try to fix the "front end clunk" by simply tightening the steering head nut. This is not the correct way to do it.

The upper triple tree (or clamp) pinch bolts need to be loosened. Under the upper tree is an adjustment nut. Tightening of this adjustment nut is what puts pressure on the steering head bearings. The upper nut is then torqued to squeeze the upper tree against the adjustment nut. The torque specs just keep everything together. Don't let the dealer shortcut your repair.

thanks for the tip jmpancoast i will pull that cover tonight and take a look at that washer. I remember having to tighten that cover too.

Removed the steering head cover, the washer is the old style so the service bulletin has not been performed. I wonder since the front end is not loose if the dealership will do the sevice anyway?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back