free website stats program Bummed out....dead battery...beautiful day | Harley Davidson Forums

Bummed out....dead battery...beautiful day

RUSHMORE_14

When I went to take my bike out of the garage after being on a charger for a month and a half.....the battery was totally dead. I wanted to take it out for a spin......but the freight train that was my emotion was derailed, going to get a battery tomorrow and a new tender. Any suggestions?:(

When I went to take my bike out of the garage after being on a charger for a month and a half.....the battery was totally dead. I wanted to take it out for a spin......but the freight train that was my emotion was derailed, going to get a battery tomorrow and a new tender. Any suggestions?:(

Hope although you said "charger", you meant "tender". I have a Battery Tender Jr. that I have seen on sale on the internet for around $20. This is a good little unit. I keep my tender connected when I park it in the garage every day.

Whatever new battery you choose, I suggest a tender from the get-go.

TQ

Hope although you said "charger", you meant "tender". I have a Battery Tender Jr. that I have seen on sale on the internet for around $20. This is a good little unit. I keep my tender connected when I park it in the garage every day.

Whatever new battery you choose, I suggest a tender from the get-go.

TQ
Yes, tender is what I meant.....still gonna buy battery though

from the age of your bike (almost new) and having it on a tender all winter I assume in a garage or shed, you battery should be OK, before this happens again you might want to check the outlet with the lights turned off. I once bought a new freezer filled it lost the food, got a free replacement freezer and lost it again, found out the outlet was tied to the light switch. talk about a red face, both my partner and myself were journeyman electric ans.:newsmile011:

Wow, a battery failure in one year...and with use of a battery tender. Sorry you experienced this failure 09 Heritage, did the charger show that it was charging and the in line fuse is intact? Check to be sure!

The other thing is, knowing how EVERYTHING relies on it, you would also think that local isolated battery backup and "Energy Star" low level power consumption designs would be put higher up on MOCO priority list so the battery would not have such a high "loss mode" when parked with alarm enabled for more than a month w/o charge.

Last edited:
Here's my experience... I had a float charger fail internally & the result was it started putting out 19 volts. Needless to say it COOKED my battery. The float charger I WAS using was not a Battery Tender... but it is now !! So in addition to checking your battery, also check the output of your charger...

Yes check the terminals, check it with a "load' type meter after a re-charge, not sure but it may be under warrenty with your dealer?

I had the same thing happen to me not too long ago. Wound up being a bad battery which the dealership replaced under warranty.

Back