free website stats program Bug Removal | Harley Davidson Forums

Bug Removal

ewiltgen

Now that the3 weather has improved here in Iowa the bugs are thick. Does anybody have a good bug remover?:bigsmiley18:

The most impotant thing is not to leave the bugs stay on your car or bike for several days. You really should remove the bug residue every day as the chemicals in the bug residue can etch your paint or the damage finish on your windshield.

I have found that this works best for me and you minimize the chance of scratching the windshield or the damaging paint. No need to use any chemicals.

1. Take a terry or microfiber towel and wet it in warm water.

2. Wring it out, but not so much that is is just damp. You want it to be wet, but do not need it to be dripping.

3. Lay it over the windshield and front of the fairing, if you have one, and leave it there for about 15 minutes. Remove the towel and just wipe the bugs off with the wet towel. All or most of the bugs should come right off.

4. If there a few stubborn bugs left, just repeat the process.

Takes a little time, but it works.

The wet towel works well and I have found that Pledge furniture polish ( I like the orange scented) will work well if applied before the bugs are a problem. It's all I ever used on mine and the bugs come off easier. Use it on the whole bike less the tires and leather.

Now stop laughing and try it.:D

Yep if it's bug city and their all over the fairing. Wet towel first. Then pleadge. Funny, I use the orange stuff too:s

Purple Slice before you ride...or Pledge...gotta get the windscreen slick before the fact..then they come right off..One of our friends also does the warm water on a towel...and works great as well...but if you pretreat the windscreen first it sure makes it much easier.

Windex makes a new window / interior cleaner. It takes the bugs off of my windshield without any harm. You can also buy vinyl window cleaner. Made by Custom Window cleaner in Florida. Great stuff.

I heard that a 50%-50% mix of hydrogen peroxided and water works well and will not affect the paint or wind screen. I've not tried it yet, but plan to in the next week. Makes sense tho as H2O2 attacks protein.

The wet towel works well and I have found that Pledge furniture polish ( I like the orange scented) will work well if applied before the bugs are a problem. It's all I ever used on mine and the bugs come off easier. Use it on the whole bike less the tires and leather.

Now stop laughing and try it.:D

I pledge everything:D and the bug guts come right off !
My buddy came over last night and his tank looked terrible and i gave him the pledge treatment and he was a believer after that. His blue was darker and the pearl was brighter. great product for quick detailing bike.

I use S100 Special Surfaces cleaner before each ride. Works great and the bugs come right off. Good on all surfaces including painted ones.

Back