free website stats program buell | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

buell

Buell is coming out with a new bike, in '08 I believe, that is liquid cooled and it has somewhere around 145 hp. IMO if i was gonna get a sport bike I'd get one that was made in america as opposed to a rice burner.

The problem with the Buell is that it’s a practical sport bike so really does not excel at anything. If you want to look & go fast, there are plenty of Jap bikes that will rev to 18 kudzillion RPM and blow it into the weeks. If you want a comfortable Harley torque bike for daily transportation, a Sportster or Tourer is a much better choice.

Also the V-Rod really has not been fully accepted into the Harley family. It’s a technology far superior bike when compared to the big twins, but the low resale prices indicate everyone instead wants a Bagger or Softtail. Image is everything…

I still lust after an older tube frame Buell. They are more suitable for a sport tourer than the newer aluminum frame versions. The new Buell's are just too radical for my old eyes, and their forward seat makes me feel like I am about to fall over the handlebars.

I am planning to trade my Sportster for a V-Rod more comfortable for two-up long distance touring. When that happens I will also buy an old cheap Buell as my personal playtoy.

A Buell is no different then any other custom bike with a HD engine, just easier to insure and find parts for.
At best they are Tractor engines in a semi race bike frame, but I applaud the effort and the choice!!
Buell bikes have come a long way in a few years, a few weeks back I bought a 2007 XB12 in mint condition for $8000, I also got a Leo Vincent Ti pipe & can, and a new SERT never installed.
Rode the Dragon & the 421 Snake both 2nd day I had it. Here in the Mountains the torque of the Sportster engine let me hang with the kids on the 600cc and smaller rice horses but anything bigger went by me like free money!!
I took it over to the Dyno and made 3 pulls to see what I had and get a base line for the mods I'm gonna make, At the rear wheel it made 84hp & 90tq. I ordered a set Andrews cams for it (N8 & adj. pushrods) the pipe & can (whole thing weighs 14lb, stock was 37lb) installed the SERT and back on the Dyno it pulls 102hp and and 115tq, You talking about a wheelie beast!! It still wont run with a 750 or bigger rice horse but it sure is fun!!
If the 1125R makes 146hp & 78tq at the crank you can look for 120hp & 67-70tq at best at the rear wheel, the 600cc bikes are in trouble but he big boys are still in another zip code!! :58:

Which Andrews cams did you install? Many XBers are installing Redshift cams - have you heard good or bad about the Redshifts? Would you change your cams to a more aggressive cam if you had to do it again?

Thanks.

Which Andrews cams did you install? Many XBers are installing Redshift cams - have you heard good or bad about the Redshifts? Would you change your cams to a more aggressive cam if you had to do it again?

Thanks.
It has Andrews cam # N8 with Andrews adj. push rods.
The N8 is a awesome cam for stock Buell 1200s anything bigger without bumping compression and porting the heads is wasted.
I think I'll do a full build on this bike and see what it will really do.
Thinking about a 100ci with 10.5/1CR, Branch stage 4 Heads, JE pistons, S&S crank & rods, Andrews NV cams and push rods Barnett clutch, TWT intake, 2 stage RSR fuel inj. & CPU, RSR LSR 2-1 exhaust, Lyndall brakes, CFS carbon fiber wheels and Prielli Diablo tires.

I have a 1999 S3T Thunderbolt that is a great bike. I get 65 mpg driving responsibly. I have ridden 700 mile days.

The reason I bought this one was because it has the 1200 Harley engine. I don't really consider the new engines to be Harley proven.

It has had a few of the Buell problems but I have managed to maintain the bike myself. I have 40000 miles on it.

My bitch is it has no resale value, but was a very expensive bike in Canada, msrp was $21000. plus taxes.

I also have a 2000 Electra Glide that I love to ride.

Ken

Are Harley enthusiasts elitist?You hate Buells because they're a travesty of a
H-D; and you hate 'Rice burners' because they're not American.How about them British bikes or those pesky Germans?Me? I love MOTORCYCLES.
So what if Erik's bikes are a bit eccentric.So are H-D 's to sport bike riders.
And sports bikes likewise to touring riders.
If i could afford it,i'd have one of each in my garage.I've come to enjoy Harleys later in my life,but i sure as hell enjoy the adrenalin rush of a'Riceburner' tapped out in third gear and the front wheel skipping off the ground.
I used to hate Harleys!Too big;too cumbersome;too expensive;too prone to
breakage and too slow.Things change and now i can almost have it it all.

Feel free to shoot me down and abuse me. :s

Back