Buell Scavenging

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by Mad Dog Jim, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Mad Dog Jim

Mad Dog Jim Banned

This is just out of curiocity: Kicking around the idea of doing a hardtail bobber build next winter. Obviouslly you can pick up a Buell a lot cheaper than a Sporty or Big Twin. How much headache would one generate by trying to do this project with a Buell motor and drive train?

2. kemo

kemo R.I.P

Please don,t butcher another Buell. Too many people have destroyed a beautiful Buell. I have a Buell s3t and I will leave it sitting in the back of the shop and somebody will find it in 50 years and be over joyed.
    kemo

3. KennedyFXR

KennedyFXR Member

I plan on doing the same thing.
    Wrecked Buells can be had fairly cheap. They are basically a sporty motor as far as mounts and everything.
    IF you're going to order your frame from somewhere, just tell them you plan on putting a buell motor in, not a standard sporty, and they can make the minor changes for you. If not, by what i've read/seen, its not that hard tomake them work.

4. Mad Dog Jim

Mad Dog Jim Banned

Well its just a thought. One the one hand seems like a cheaper way to do a bar hopper. On the other hand it will always be a Buell and not ever a Big Twin... Hhhmmm.

5. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Wonder can you order a complete Buell motor from THE MOCO?:s

6. KennedyFXR

KennedyFXR Member

yeah, but when complete, wrecked/damaged Buell's can be had for $1500, its hare to justify paying what ever the MoCo would want for a new motor, and it not even being turn key

7. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

How about a pre 04 sporster motor and tranny with buell heads, then you would have a trap door for easy tranny work?