free website stats program BUBBIE'S OIL PUMP Problem.... | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

BUBBIE'S OIL PUMP Problem....

When that happened to me (erratic oil pressure), it was because bits of the old spring loaded tensioner shoes plastic were getting in the bore of the relief and jamming the plunger. Unless your new style shoes are doing something similar, there must be something interfering with the plunger movement. Spring might be worn, but not that much to account for your symptoms. I would be worried about what might be fiddlin' with your plunger if the tensioner shoes are OK. Metal bits?

TQ

Well,,,, I had it apart and then ALL apart.. Dialed the crank less than .oo15 and that is why I say Smmmmooooth.. I checked it several times and could not get any more out of it:D

I saw a few scratches on the plunger not deep, just Marks and Smooth there also.. Finger nail couldn't feel it. Nothing to make the piston jamb up.???

Really disappointed NOT to fine anything...Oil pump checked out perfect and NO signs of wear...Cams Lifters and all were tight and looked smooth, No markings. Oil in the bottom of the engine was clean and nothing there... "O" rings were intact and not damaged.

I smoothed out the spring area of the plunger and felt nothing but thought MAYBE a little piece of OLD Lock tight May have been there,,,, I never found anything..

Baffling to say the least...

IF it Happens again, I'll replace like I threatened before.. ALL new and not look back...

So this LONG drawn out affair is over for now I GUESS???? For tonight anyways....

I know the exhaust and shields and the mufflers, oil pump and lifters and the adjustable push rods and the tubes that cover them, Like the back of my hand,,,, Apart/Together in my dreams Again tonight..

I used the same OLD gasket in the outside cam cover and NO Leaks
(used 4 times)...

HD didn't make ANY money off me.:newsmile093: They would of HAD to fine a problem that was determined to Be a DEFECT or I would of ate the whole job... 700$$

So I just got back from my payoff for doing my own work.. Rode the bike up and had A BIG Steak..(thought about Jacks Dog video. Food you know, Steak covered with cat treats):bigsmiley17:

Then got on my Steed and Ate bugs for MY desert.:newsmile011:

signed....BUBBIE

Wow Bubbie...your intermittant problem is really a head scratcher...sorry I could not be of help here...but knowing that it has all the pro's baffled, I still would go with TQ and your "gut" feeling than anything I could come up with on my best day. I trust that the cleanliness and burr free surface in the pressure relief bore could the problem...

I worked on automatic transmission in my earlier automotive days, and some passages in the throttle body had to do similar duty, so even a bit of paper towel lint could cause binding...

WELL, I don't Know if I can Print this Here???:newsmile055:

IT IS BACK.... today, 15 miles away and shut down for a 1/2 hour, NO oil pressure on the 1 thru 3 start.... 4th start and oil Popped up to 30 lbs, Not where it normally goes but UP..... ???????

30 seconds it was normal again... Rode it home...

Could the HD filter be a problem.... The only thing simple to do is install a new one.. NEVER heard of this problem before.. Never....

FRUSTRATED:small3d014:

signed....BUBBIE

Seems your issue did start after the oil change service, No? One other thing I would check is maybe something got into the oil tank during its servicing, such as one of those silver safety covers if bottled oil was used, intermittently falling over the port when the oil stops sloshing around during runtime? Just a thought.

Bubbie, after your complet inspection and cleanup this has just got to be the filter.

Seems your issue did start after the oil change service, No? One other thing I would check is maybe something got into the oil tank during its servicing, such as one of those silver safety covers if bottled oil was used, intermittently falling over the port when the oil stops sloshing around during runtime? Just a thought.
propflux,
I'm the only one who does these services on my bike,,, Short of something in the oil quart, it is Not happening.. I am very careful and Never do i leave anything as much as a whisker on the bottle before I pour it in.. Thank you though...

Bubbie, after your complet inspection and cleanup this has just got to be the filter.

Man Don, I tell you, I have totally built engines and never had a problem, Calling myself a good mechanic, thought I would NEVER get Baffled by something as strange as this..

I will replace the oil and filter next.. Thinking about buying a little scope I've heard about that is like the one doctors use . Maybe that would get a look into the oil tank.. I sure don't want to go there anymore Than I have too.(removal of tank that is):laugh

signed....BUBBIE

This is as good as any whodunnit novel, even if you solve it keep it going with this one Bubbie.

Can't wait for the next instalment.

I know you know a lot more about bikes than I do, but have you tried pouring a pint or so of sea foam in the oil tank and running it for a while??? If something is plugging something up occasionally, it might help loosen it. Then change oil and filter again. Could also be something in the oil line going to the pressure gauge, not giving it a correct reading constantly. Had that problem in my truck not too long ago. Took off the line, ran some oil out of it, hooked it back up, and its fine now.
Good luck :D

I know you know a lot more about bikes than I do, but have you tried pouring a pint or so of sea foam in the oil tank and running it for a while??? If something is plugging something up occasionally, it might help loosen it. Then change oil and filter again. Could also be something in the oil line going to the pressure gauge, not giving it a correct reading constantly. Had that problem in my truck not too long ago. Took off the line, ran some oil out of it, hooked it back up, and its fine now.
Good luck :D

Thank you,

The oil line IS inside of a machined area not a hose.. Why would it work for 23.000 miles then have a problem?? Yes I will check flow from the tank "under pressure" when the cam-plate is off.. This should put to rest for me, a Plugged system.. Thanks Glider.

Hey, A new way to change oil, wonder if it would catch on.. Ha ha.

The oil is Not flowing at the time of "0" on the gauge.. Side cam-cover off and engine started and running shows No oil flow.. I think nothing in the oil channels as it flows Good Once it flows. Believe me when I say all is in good order, and checked out OF which I know How to check.. The problem Could be and Probably IS in the cam-plate.. The other things I have no way of checking, besides the Pressure Relief valve and spring, Are the Ball bearings used to cover the machining access holes.... I thought this Later after putting in the cam-plate back in..

Mind you , this is a motor that I have been the only one to work on it. I know the cams installed back 10,000 miles ago and All was well.. This Oil thing started Sudden & Recently. Really a mind blower for me and MANY of the pro-builder, guessing and Nothing as a result....
I can't see a plug in the oil chest as it happens on Turn-OFF Motor Having "good oil pressure" and then has to be Simply Not sucking the oil back up into the pump OR leaking down out of the system completely??

I WILL pick up a new cam-plate today and try that soon... Man, It is a lot of work right now to get it working in good order.. The cam-plate is 77$ from HD Parts and believe Me I hope that is what it is.... I'll have to buy new nuts and bolts soon as I'm wearing them out on this one Project....:D

I have given it a lot of thought and A Loose Ball Bearing Covering a Machining Hole Could be loose enough to allow the system to drain oil out of pump and No prime there to allow oil to re-pump..
Even after it starts and "0" on the gauge, It may take several starts Before oil Does appears..
NO I won't allow it to run More than a few seconds with out oil pressure... I did once, raising the idle up and nothing but a Rattle started coming from the lifters(not good) and IT didn't bring the pressure up any sooner than the haphazard way of off and On several times ..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back