free website stats program BUBBIE'S OIL PUMP Problem.... | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

BUBBIE'S OIL PUMP Problem....

Looks like you've diagnosed the problem for them so all they have to do now is fix it. Should all be under warranty.

NO, I just put it back together... The oil pressure is at 40 and fast goose goes to over 55 lbs.. Now...

When Apart, (just the cam cover off Plugs out) and No oil then next try some oil and then it Kicked out OIL,,, I thought it should not be coming out from Behind the cam plate like it was....
Now, all together and Oil in the ears...Lots of pressure BUT I don't think it right..

IF they will tear it down ? Hope it stops with the oil up and then they will tear it down..

I just need to hear from some one who Knows what the oil should look like coming from the plate and MOSTly behind the plate.. I din't think it's right.The first few times apart it did the oil working but Not ALL the oil it did Now coming from Behind the cam plate..

The cam plate should hold in the oil and direct it thru the ports of the engine NOT blow it out From behind the oil pump area.. Yes it was getting oil thru the chains and cams Both times

Looks to me Wrong.. Hope some one KNOWS....

HELP... HD here I come...

signed....BUBBIE

Been off line for a while, Sorry to hear of your situation, Consider it a Lifes challenge. We all look forward to your solution an excellent write-up.

Bubbie,

Still a newbie here so take this with a grain of salt. After your inspection and before you take it in to your dealer...
Have you tried a little Pledge?

Seriously, looking forward to reading the solution. I hope it's quick and painless.
WAP.gif

Bubbie,

Still a newbie here so take this with a grain of salt. After your inspection and before you take it in to your dealer...
Have you tried a little Pledge?

Seriously, looking forward to reading the solution. I hope it's quick and painless.
WAP.gif
Yes I did... It took off all the finger and grease spots... Now it won't show it has been apart..

signed....BUBBIE

I have good oil pressure every time since putting on the cam cover yesterday...

Today I did a ride around and fueled. All worked good.. WATCHED oil pressure,,, It was Right where it should be...I still scratch my head in wonder as I have Never come across this problem... Kinda takes the Starch out of ones shorts...

I'm going to talk to HD service and Make Note of the problem and Hope IF it comes about again, Maybe they will look and replace parts needed.... Hopefully It will be before Sturgis bikes come out as that is the end of my 09 warranty..

The way to go about this and I KNOW BETTER was to take it apart and LOOK ,,, take apart the spring loaded Pressure Relief valve and (Glider,TQ1 suggested) Cleaning on a white paper to see IF anything there..

Also checking the pump case and gerotors and wavey washer... I know how to do all that mechanical stuff, but right now I'm Loaded with Other work and BURNT-Out with broken hand shakes from people supposedly BUYing My welding tools,,,,,, So when this happened I said "enough is enough right now"..

I do love to do my Own Work on all my stuff.. I just would like it at My Pace.. We ALL Know How that works...:D:newsmile093::newsmile055:

The above little Guys about covered it... forgot one:newsmile08:....

Other than a melted fender light tip lense and the chrome housing wrinkled, Not a whimper out of this 09 KING bike.. Hopefully and Thankfully so...

IF it does this again, I plan to Not even consider looking further at the problem and I will do a new pump and cam-plate..

Now IF the problem is elsewhere so be it.. Thanks for the Opinions and suggestions given, I only Hope to return them as favors to help you out...:newsmile011:

signed....BUBBIE

Yesterday NO problems even after shutting off HOT... NO lack of pressure...
Today is different...

I shut it off for about 1 hour today Lunch 80 miles No.... All was worked normal and pressure was consistant 35/40 lb. range..

Went to start it, Bam started right off NO oil pressure. shut off. Bam No oil pressure again.. Brought idle up a little and still nothing.. Turned it off...

Started again, oil pressure Jumped up to 15 lbs then dropped to "0" on gauge No oil light on yet , so I raised the idle way up and pressure followed.. Not all the pressure but 22 lbs where it should be 35+... let it idle and it went to 10 to 5 to "0" but some pressure as the red light didn't come on.. Raised the idle and oil pressure came up to 28/30..... So I rode it home... Enough pressure to Not hurt the motor...

This told me the pressure relief valve was sticking open..

This is the first time I could SEE Lack of Pressure BECAUSE it had Stuck Open..

Noticed later on the ride home, that it went to 35/40 range and then backed off to below 30 a little later.. THINKING that the relief valve closed then over pressure OPENED it again and it stuck open again..

I will Pull the pipes muffler cam cover Again and try to pull out the split pin and see IF i can take it apart without pulling the plate off..

HAVE any of you had luck taking it apart while still installed on the bike (i know you have)..I'd hate to crush or break off the pin .. Darn it is small... I know it will come out but the TRICK?

any advice Thanks...

I went out just a bit ago and tried it again... Started and oil pressure ran up to 40/45 lbbs and revving a little I could see the pressure relief valve operating as the oil pressure dropped to 38 lbs from 45..

Apart and clean and polish relief valve is needed.. IF apart with out all coming out Good...

HD said I would have to pay at 95$ an hour and HD would have to find a Manufacturing problem OR I'd have to pay ALL..:newsmile093:

So I'll fix it myself and be done with it..:newsmile011:

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by a moderator:
You can do it without removing the plate. Get a pin punch and tap the roll pin out towards the inside of the plate. That will release the spring. Then use a popsicle stick to wedge up inside the slider (plunger) and gently pull that out. I suggest replacing it with a new one, and a new spring. Clean out the bore with lots of solvent and a barrel mop like this:

Hoppe's Pistol Bore Cleaning Mop 44 to 45 Caliber 8 x 32 Thread Cotton - MidwayUSA

Lube up your new plunger and put the spring in the cup end. Start the roll pin and then insert the plunger and spring and hold the spring above the pin while tapping it all the way flush. Done.

Button it up and see it that works!

I realised that you have talked about up-grading to a different plate (Delkron or Feuling). Was that on this bike, or a previous one? If this one, what I posted above may not work.

TQ

Last edited:
I realised that you have talked about up-grading to a different plate (Delkron or Feuling). Was that on this bike, or a previous one? If this one, what I posted above may not work.

TQ, That was on the dyna, A delkon plate...

This is stock HD 09 FLHR and what you suggested is really a good way to do it.. I have worked with Roll pins Many, the last was 3/8 diameter:laugh

So when I saw the tiny roll pin the last time in,,,, I started Hoping it was the Big old Oil Pump:D

It should be easy enough to do the job.... and I like Not taking it All apart...

I would of tried to fix it "ALL Out Side" of bike but Knowing You have been there "In-Place" and with good suggestions, makes it feel GOOD to repair it In-Bike way.

Thanks, I'll post the fix..

signed....BUBBIE

I'll bet you have some piece of mind finding that it is the relief valve. Now you can fix it and not worry about it anymore. Let us know if you find anything in there that made it stick.

Glad you got it narrowed down Bubbie. Following along with the thread it sounded like TQ was correct in his prognosis. Now you can clean that out and put in new parts and you won't have to wonder if it's still there waiting to get you again.

Back