free website stats program Brought My New Baby Home Last Night! | Harley Davidson Forums

Brought My New Baby Home Last Night!

RottMan

It's a girl! And she is beautiful!

Picked up my '09 SG (Vivid Black) yesterday afternoon. It was an anniversary gift from my wife. The dealer had her sitting right in the middle of the showroom floor. After doing all the paperwork and spending $2K at the parts counter I got to ride her home and then to work this morning. Here is my initial impression, dispensing the cons first...

Cons:
Stock seat - Sucks. Wife hates it. Will be replaced with Mustang 2-piece as soon as its available.

Stock mufflers - Joke. Already bought Reinhardt slip-ons and will be putting them on tonight. Along with that, I bought a black Heavy Breather and as soon as I have those bolted on, its back to the dealer for the Stage I download.

Stock bars - Comfortable, but ugly. Looking to replace...any suggestions? Would like a little taller and fatter.

Heat - As described by others, HOT on the right side. I don't know if it was because Mother Nature forgot that summer is over and made it 99 degrees yesterday or that I was in So. Cal. rush-hour traffic on the ride home, but damn it was hot on my right leg. But, I must admit that I didn't notice any extreme heat on the ride to work this morning...

Windshield - Good looking but a little short. I'm 5'10" and at highway speeds the wind buffets my helmet a bit. Will change to one a little taller, maybe 6" or 8".

OK, on the the Pros:

Ass-end - My favorite part of this bike! Damn that's a good looking rear. The flared fender, meaty 180mm tire...plus the dealer changed out the amber rear turn lamps with red and wired them to be running lamps also (nice touch). I also bought a hidden antenna, so the stock one will be removed and the hole plugged this weekend.:bigsmiley24: How do I get inside the fairing?

Handling - I came off an '05 RK and wow, I didn't think the ride would be that much better! Got her up to 80 when the freeway opened up and it was as smooth as riding on glass. In stop-n-go traffic she was very easy to maneuver and has a nice, low center of gravity. No tracking the grooves. No rear-end swaying on the sweeping curves. Perfect! Effortless!

Radio - Pleasantly surprised. I like the auto volume adjust feature and having radio controls on the bars is convenient. At highway speeds the volume was at about 50% and I could hear the tunes just fine.

Overall, I LOVE this bike. The few cons I listed can be easily corrected with mods. Besides, isn't that part of the fun in owning a Harley...making mods and making it yours? I would recommend this bike to anyone in the market for a new Harley.

I ordered the detachable King TourPak for my wife so she will be riding in the lap of luxury and when she's not on the bike I can take it off to show off that sexy rear end. I would also like to add some rear speakers to the TourPak for her. What are my options? Can I get some type of quick-disconnect for the wiring so I can easily remove the TourPak?

I will be putting on the mufflers and breather this weekend and will post both before and after pics on this thread if you are interested.

CONGRATS!! Dammit I wish my '05 RK would sell so I can join in this fiesta of '09 SG love!! I am sick of reading about it, and want to experience for myself!!

Your description reminded me of a tech question that I have been wanting to ask to the tech folks on here:

Let's say I buy my slip-ons and my Screamin' Eagle air cleaner and put them on in my garage... Is the bike SAFE to ride over to the Stealership for the download? I'm asking b/c I thought I could do that with my RK, and I put them on and fired him up, and the turn signals went nuts and it was sputtering and stuff. I put it on a truck then took it over to the shop. What do you guys recommend?

Yeah, I know how you feel. I got tired of waiting myself and just went in, bent over, and took the raping on my 05 RK trade-in. But let me tell you, the pain went away as soon as I got in my new saddle for the first time.:p

As for the tech question, I'm no tech, but I did pose the same question to them yesterday and they said it would be OK for me to install the mufflers and intake and then ride it over there for the download.

That's good to know. The Stealership is only like 5-7 miles away from my house too- so that will work out well. Thanks for the info!! Enjoy that sweet new thang!!!

I just sent you a PM too regarding this- check your Inbox when you have a sec!

Glider- do you have an opinion on the question that I asked:

"Your description reminded me of a tech question that I have been wanting to ask to the tech folks on here:

Let's say I buy my slip-ons and my Screamin' Eagle air cleaner and put them on in my garage... Is the bike SAFE to ride over to the Stealership for the download? I'm asking b/c I thought I could do that with my RK, and I put them on and fired him up, and the turn signals went nuts and it was sputtering and stuff. I put it on a truck then took it over to the shop. What do you guys recommend?"

Thanks man- I always enjoy your insight!

You can do it if it isn't too far away, it will be running lean and could heat things up and do some damage if it were a long ride.

This may be a stupid question but could you do it the other way? I mean, do the Stage I download and then ride home and put on the mufflers and intake?

Back