free website stats program Broken trafic light laws | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Broken trafic light laws

bikermoses ... others, frustrating to come to a signaled intersection and you just KNOW is tripped by sensors in the pavement, and it doesn't "detect" your scooter! Grrrrrrr. Do you turn left after a couple signal-cycles, or turn right, then do a U-turn? I wanna do the former, but end up doing the later ... AAarrgh!

I understand that problem & this is what I did to help trip the stop light sensors , I put a couple of magnets under each floorboard or you can attach the magnets to any flat surface on the frame as close to the ground as possible , doing this will help increase the bikes magnetic signiture :s you can get them @ a good hardware store or a Lowes or Home Depot for about $2 . Also when you stop take care to locate the edge of the sensor & try to stop the bike on the edges of the sensor not in the middle , that will help the sensor pick up the magnetic signiture of your bike . :rider

bikermoses ... others, frustrating to come to a signaled intersection and you just KNOW is tripped by sensors in the pavement, and it doesn't "detect" your scooter! Grrrrrrr. Do you turn left after a couple signal-cycles, or turn right, then do a U-turn? I wanna do the former, but end up doing the later ... AAarrgh!

A couple of years ago, here in Wisconsin they passed the 45 second rule. If the light doesn't turn after 45 seconds, when the way is clear it's ok to proceed through the intersection.

ABATE printed up a card with the section code and hands 'em out at events...just in case Barney out in Podunk Wisconsin pulls ya over for it

A couple of years ago, here in Wisconsin they passed the 45 second rule. If the light doesn't turn after 45 seconds, when the way is clear it's ok to proceed through the intersection.

ABATE printed up a card with the section code and hands 'em out at events...just in case Barney out in Podunk Wisconsin pulls ya over for it

Your kidding right? :rofl Who times the 45 seconds? Oh my God, we have (EDIT) turning on a red right in front of you now. I can't imagine being able to blow a red because I thought I was sitting for 45 seconds. Some lights here take well over a minute to change. My main concern when riding is the intersections. Now you have to worry about someone pulling out in front of you because they waited 45 seconds. No way. They can not pass that law here. Please. Don't even suggest it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your kidding right? :rofl Who times the 45 seconds? Oh my God, we have (EDIT) turning on a red right in front of you now. I can't imagine being able to blow a red because I thought I was sitting for 45 seconds. Some lights here take well over a minute to change. My main concern when riding is the intersections. Now you have to worry about someone pulling out in front of you because they waited 45 seconds. No way. They can not pass that law here. Please. Don't even suggest it.

LOL. nope it's for real. It's for motorcycles, not cages.

Wisconsin Act 466 allows for a motorcycle, moped, motor bicycle, or bicycle facing a red traffic signal at
an intersection to proceed through the intersection before the signal turns green if the following conditions are
met:
1) The operator believes the signal is vehicle actuated.
2) There is no other vehicle present to actuate the signal.
3) Operator must stop for at least 45 seconds before proceeding through the intersection.
4) The operator must yield right-of-way to any other vehicle or pedestrian traffic.

I'd be careful using it in a busy area, but it is nice to have for those deserted intersections in the middle of no-where or late at night.

Same in Colorado but I dont think too many care, it seems the bigger the vehicle the less they seem to know the law.

O.K. it's now two states, Colorado and Wisconsin and there might be more, that allow you to blow a red if the above conditions are meet. I can picture someone like myself sitting at the red and some jerk pulls up behind me. I don't know the law. It's been 45 seconds. He starts blowing his horn. (They do that here if you don't turn on a red fast enough). First thought, what the heck, is this guy nuts. I look again. Yep, that light is still red. What the heck does this guy expect me to do. Blow thru the red. That would scare the (EDIT) out of someone.

Please read this...
[notes]
A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
[/notes]

O.K. it's now two states, Colorado and Wisconsin and there might be more, that allow you to blow a red if the above conditions are meet. I can picture someone like myself sitting at the red and some jerk pulls up behind me. I don't know the law. It's been 45 seconds. He starts blowing his horn. (They do that here if you don't turn on a red fast enough). First thought, what the heck, is this guy nuts. I look again. Yep, that light is still red. What the heck does this guy expect me to do. Blow thru the red. That would scare the (EDIT) out of someone.

I know. Until more states get on board, or if they do, it'll be like the turn on red law back in the late 70's. Only handful of states passed it then and if you were out side a known state you weren't sure if you could turn on red. You'd get in the habit of watching other drivers to see what they did.

And, this affects such a small minority of the total drivers - namely motorcycles - it'll probably never have the impact like right on red did...It may remain one of those "Do'h! I didn't know you could do that." kind of things for a very long time.

Last edited:
Don't know if it's a law or not, but we've always treated them as a 4way stop and NEVER trust ANYONE else to do the same, here in the land of Lincoln.

Back