free website stats program Broken trafic light laws | Harley Davidson Forums

Broken trafic light laws

Spade5

I am curious about laws governing broken trafic lights in other states/countries.

In Texas, if a trafic light is malfuctioning, the intersection is treated as an all way stop and the rules of right a way kick in. The first vehicle at the intersection has the right a way and if two approach at the same time where trafic paths would cross, the vehicle to your right has the right of way.

I encountered this yesterday and was faced with obeying the law and stopping risking getting rear ended or playing chicken with the F350 diesel making a legal turn into my path. I chose to stop and got screeching brakes and honking two cars or so back. This was a bad spot where the road curves and with the trees you cannot see the light until you are right on it. The cars behind me may not have been familiar with the road and didn't know the light was there.

Since people around here do not know how to stop completely at a stop sign and a red light means punch it so you can really cause damage to the vehicle you collide with, I figured most people missed the part about malfunctioning trafic lights.

I got to thinking about this and wondered what the law was in other places.

bikermoses ... others, frustrating to come to a signaled intersection and you just KNOW is tripped by sensors in the pavement, and it doesn't "detect" your scooter! Grrrrrrr. Do you turn left after a couple signal-cycles, or turn right, then do a U-turn? I wanna do the former, but end up doing the later ... AAarrgh!

bikermoses ... others, frustrating to come to a signaled intersection and you just KNOW is tripped by sensors in the pavement, and it doesn't "detect" your scooter! Grrrrrrr. Do you turn left after a couple signal-cycles, or turn right, then do a U-turn? I wanna do the former, but end up doing the later ... AAarrgh!

I've been known to turn left on multiple occasions like this; but not until I looked around to see if there were any cops around. :) If it's an unfamiliar intersection, I'll sit through a couple of cycles. If it's a signal I know doesn't trip, I'll turn when it's safe.

TXMikey does what I do if there is distinct view in all directions, AND I am already "stuck" in the left turn only lane. I keep a close watch when pulling up to an intersection to slowly cross the tar snakes perpendicular that mark the outline, dead center of the underground sensors and can usually activate them.

Had more of a problem on my metric, because it was so light, and exhaust metal resonator was too high off the ground to trip metal proximity type sensors, my HD sits 4.5" off the tarmac and apparently the metal bits are close enough most of the time.

Law is the same here. Treated as a four way stop. But as far as who goes first, well. :( I'll sit and wait. I'm never in a hurry when I'm on my Harley.

Back