free website stats program Broken tourpak bracket | Harley Davidson Forums

Broken tourpak bracket

Got back from Texas on Thursday night, and noticed my tourpak was flopping around. Look underneath it and the bracket/rails that hold it on were snapped in half. Basically the only thing holding it on was the mounts to the license plate bracket. I am a little hesitant to get one from h/d because of the integrity of the original one. Unless maybe this was a recognized defect and they have an updated design of course.
I never carried a lot of weight in the tourpak The most I have ever had in there was a jacket, sweatshirt, glasses, shoes and at the end of the day a 6 pack. Makes me wonder why there is a luggage rack on top of the pak??
My question is this; has anyone had this happen to them and if so, where did you get a new bracket from?

Man I hate to hear that, I just put a tour pack on my Street Glide and I have the quick connect mount on it. Let us know what dealer tells you.

Did you ever get your tire replaced in Corpus?

Man I hate to hear that, I just put a tour pack on my Street Glide and I have the quick connect mount on it. Let us know what dealer tells you.

Did you ever get your tire replaced in Corpus?

No I did not get the tire replaced. I figured it would have been time when I got down there, but it was still in good shape, still is now with over 16000 miles on it. I am going to get a new on in the next few weeks here, but it is more for piece of mind then anything else.
As far as the tour-pak, I was not going to go to the dealership for it, unless that is my only option. Would like to find one that is improved upon the original one. I have never carried a lot of weight in the pak, and it makes me wonder how people get away with having it loaded up and then strapping a bag to the top of it. Another thing that bothers me, and not to worry you, what would have happened if the license plate bracket gave way and the pak fell off??? There are 5 or 6 wire harnesses to the pak and those would not have just broke free without a struggle.

Yikes! Mine does not sit on license plate at all, I looked at my bracket and it looks sturdy enough. I travel alot woth my wife and she packs a bunch of stuff! May have to change that.:small3d031:

Don't let my experience scare you. Like I said, I see people pack those things up and then put a bunch of stuff on top of them as well. I am trying to figure out if there was an issue with the ones from my era- 99 ultra. Hopefully there is, and an updated version is all that I need. The issue with mine just doesn't seem right. I have never loaded the thing down, or even used it that much for that matter. And any g/f that has ever been on the back usually leans more on me then on the pak, so that was never the case. I must of had a defective one, or there was hopefully just an issue with my era. I have not heard of a lot of people having this problem, but we will see what happens.

where did you get a new bracket from?[/SIZE]

I don't own a bagger but if a Tour Pack is an accessory that can be added after the bike is purchased, get the part number for the Tour Pack kit. Then take that part number and enter it in the HD web site parts field. The instructions for installation along with a Bill of Material of whats included will be listed. It will usually list part numbers for the individual pieces that make up the kit.

Worth a try. Once you have the part number, it's a done deal. I have seen this to be true on several HD accessories.

Got back from Texas on Thursday night, and noticed my tourpak was flopping around. Look underneath it and the bracket/rails that hold it on were snapped in half. Basically the only thing holding it on was the mounts to the license plate bracket. I am a little hesitant to get one from h/d because of the integrity of the original one. Unless maybe this was a recognized defect and they have an updated design of course.
I never carried a lot of weight in the tourpak The most I have ever had in there was a jacket, sweatshirt, glasses, shoes and at the end of the day a 6 pack. Makes me wonder why there is a luggage rack on top of the pak??
My question is this; has anyone had this happen to them and if so, where did you get a new bracket from?

I had the same thing happen on my 2000 Ultra and about a year later while riding behind my nephew. I noticed his pack seemed to sit a little odd. Checked and sure enough his was broke also on his 1999 Classic. Was told by the dealer that that was a problem and that the company had redesigned it. The replacement has been on for over 30k miles now with no problem. Can't tell you what year they made the fix, but one difference you will notice with the replacement are some contoured washers if you will, that are included that were not on your original.:)

I was riding with my son on the Blue Ridge Parkway for a few days of camping. Heading home to Maryland on I-495 around DC... son says into headset "Hey Dad, should the tourpak be moving?" Yeah, immediately get off highway, pull off road... ONLY thing holding tourpak in place is the attachment to the license plate mount. Lots of zipties and told son not to lean against it... stumbled home and replaced bracket. SCARED ME!!

Back